You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

on merging, high resolution image is scaled down to small image

Hello sir, 

In Affinity photo  when I merge top layer with a bottom layer which is scaled up, the top layer is first scaled down to the previous size of bottom layer and then scaled up to match the total width of both layers.

Please see the following video. 

And here is another link which has proper use of this issue.. 

• Staff

Hi mfarooqi,
If you switch the layer order placing the image with the highest DPI on the bottom (check the top left corner of the interface in the context toolbar with the image layer and Move Tools selected to see the placed DPI) you should get the result you are expecting when you Merge Down. Alternatively Rasterise the scaled down image again after resize so it matches document's dpi then Merge Down (they should now have the same DPI so there will be no visible changes on canvas).

Regarding the second video/issue, we are already aware of it. It's logged to be looked at. Thanks for reporting it.

34 minutes ago, MEB said:

If you switch the layer order placing the image with the highest DPI on the bottom (check the top left corner of the interface in the context toolbar with the image layer and Move Tools selected to see the placed DPI) you should get the result you are expecting when you Merge Down. Alternatively Rasterise the scaled down image again after resize so it matches document's dpi then Merge Down (they should now have the same DPI so there will be no visible changes on canvas)

Thank for your reply @MEB

Don't you think these are extra steps every time. When somebody switches form photoshop or other raster applications, such extra step will never help them to use AP

The simple rule is.. what we are seeing is what we will get.. . (in other terms what we see is what we get)..  i used will because it has to be processed yet.

If an image is scaled down,  it is scaled down. and on merging with higher resolution image, it should only be merged in the same resolution whatever is visible on the screen.  Let me give a more sensible reason... or it should be the default settings. 

When we do photo manipulation, we have no idea which resolution will be the final one. So we just keep placing many objects on the canvas. Then there is no rule that higher resolution must be in back .. suppose the smoke or clouds image is in the top most layer,  and trees in back are in lower resolution image.. and collected form different sources then we can't set 20s or 200s of layers be rasterized again and again.  one click of merging together should be enough. 

I hope this make sense.. 

Thank you

• Staff

Hi mfarooqi,
Yes, i understand your points (actually I was discussing them with the dev team some moments ago) but due to some differences in implementation, Affinity doesn't work like Photoshop or most other editors in this regard. Like most things there's advantages on our approach but also some issues we hope to improve as we move forward. Currently this behaviour is by design, rest assured your feedback has been passed to the dev team for consideration. Thanks for your support/feedback.