Margriet

Rename layers doesn't not go easy!

This is not only a problem of the beta but also of the current version.

If I want to rename a layer, I click on the text behind it because I want to complete the name.

If I then want to tap, the text is written in block again, so that the text that was there is replaced as soon as I start typing. That's not what I want when I click behind the text.

26 minutes ago, Margriet said:

This is not only a problem of the beta but also of the current version.

It’s best to post to the main bugs forum if a problem affects the current retail version. The beta forums are really intended for reporting regressions or new issues introduced by a beta release.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.6 (iPad Air 2)

On 7/24/2020 at 1:26 PM, Margriet said:

the text is written in block again, so that the text that was there is replaced as soon as I start typing.

This is a normal behavior when renaming things, and mimics for example the way that file renaming works in the Finder on the Mac.

You can click a third time to cancel the selection.

On 7/24/2020 at 7:55 PM, Alfred said:

It’s best to post to the main bugs forum if a problem affects the current retail version. The beta forums are really intended for reporting regressions or new issues introduced by a beta release.

I will do next time, because I understand that this is something normal. So sorry!

Hi @Margriet 

As @fde101 said - this is expected behaviour. If you want to add additional text to what is there - such as changing 'Layer 1' to 'Layer 1 - top row' you click again so that the text is no longer highlighted within the box and it allows you to add more text to the end. If you type while the text is highlighted it will overwrite the original text.

14 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

Hi @Margriet 

As @fde101 said - this is expected behaviour. If you want to add additional text to what is there - such as changing 'Layer 1' to 'Layer 1 - top row' you click again so that the text is no longer highlighted within the box and it allows you to add more text to the end. If you type while the text is highlighted it will overwrite the original text.

I know. But what happen is that I click behind the text that is highlighted. The text is then for a moment not langer highlighted (And I type to add some text) and then suddenly again it is highlighted, so the text get overwritten. 

I haven't been able to reproduce this using a Mac Mouse or a Magic Trackpad 2. Which device are you using?

I do sometimes have issues with one of the keys my keyboard sticking when trying to type passwords though. I am wondering if one of your devices is getting stuck somehow because if you do another click it will highlight the text again and it seems that it might be receiving additional input from somewhere.

I use a normal mouse, because the Mac Mouse looks great, but I don't like it to work with. I have this problem only in Affinity designer. But let it go, if I am the only one with this, I can live with that. 

I really love the beta, because it can import PSD files!

I'm using the Mac Mouse at the moment. It's the first time I've had one and it is a little odd. I think that when you use the surface of it as a trackpad it makes things wobble which can be confusing. :P

I can try and recreate it with a normal mouse too. What kind are you using, if I don't have anything like I can ask one of my colleagues?

I'm so glad you are enjoying the beta. 🙌

How kind of you! I have the Logitech M215.

My husband also told me that I should use a trackpad and I have tried that, but no. I now use the iPad Version and the Mac version together. Draw on the iPad (love to do that in the Garden) and then go after the Mac for the other things. 

No problem, I will ask around. 

If you're used to the iPad gestures now you might enjoy the Trackpad more this time around. I really like the trackpad now I have got used to it. The first thing I have to do is change the scrolling. I turn off the setting called "Natural" as it feels wrong to me. The pinch to zoom and rotate on the trackpad is lovely for designing and I think it's the thing I like most about it. It's also what I like about designing on the iPad.

19 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

No problem, I will ask around. 

If you're used to the iPad gestures now you might enjoy the Trackpad more this time around. I really like the trackpad now I have got used to it. The first thing I have to do is change the scrolling. I turn off the setting called "Natural" as it feels wrong to me. The pinch to zoom and rotate on the trackpad is lovely for designing and I think it's the thing I like most about it. It's also what I like about designing on the iPad.

Thanks, I will try that! So the trackpad feels like drawing on the iPad. Which one do you use?
Thank you also for answering my question. Really appreciate that. 

I think the iPad made me connect more with the gestures on my Trackpad and appreciate what it could do that a mouse can't.

I have the iPad Pro 2020 model with Apple Pencil 2, I like drawing while sitting on the sofa and then use my iMac when I feel like sitting at a desk. ;) 

I use a Wacom tablet on my Mac, the newer editions of which behave like a massive trackpad when used with your fingers.  At that size you can even use four or five finger gestures if you are so inclined to learn them...  plus you get the pen to use for drawing and the like.

Having gotten used to that, a mouse feels very limiting.  I generally plug one in for playing certain games that don't play nicely with the tablet...  but for doing "real work" the tablet works best for me so far.

11 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I use a Wacom tablet on my Mac, the newer editions of which behave like a massive trackpad when used with your fingers.  At that size you can even use four or five finger gestures if you are so inclined to learn them...  plus you get the pen to use for drawing and the like.

Having gotten used to that, a mouse feels very limiting.  I generally plug one in for playing certain games that don't play nicely with the tablet...  but for doing "real work" the tablet works best for me so far.

Oh, thanks! I will look for such a tablet. Do you use it besides the keyboard like the mouse or instead?

I have it sitting next to my keyboard in place of the mouse.

Once in a while I still connect a mouse for one reason or another, but most of the time it is the keyboard and the tablet.

9 hours ago, fde101 said:

I have a very similar setup, and find it a much better experience, also for non-creative work. I have an intuos 5 touch M, which is perfect, and you can get these or similar models second hand at a good price. The only thing that does not really work as well for me is the rotation gesture. I feel the software has a hard time deciding if I want to zoom or rotate, and it often does not work correctly. This is why I have it disabled, and do canvas rotation with shortcuts instead.

Just now, SPaceBar said:

I keeping meaning to try Sidecar.

Do you keep getting sidetracked? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.6 (iPad Air 2)