You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

re-select selection in curve layer -Affinity Photo

I used the pen tool to make a shape and then converted it to a selection and painted within it inside Affinity photo. I did not save the selection but deselected it. I see there is a layer called "curve" with my shape in there - Is there a way to re-select it and make it a live selection again? I know I can save the selection - but I'm curious the value of the curve layer versus the value of saving selections and having to re-open them.

What can be done in general with that curve layer? I see that I could add a pixel sub-layer underneath it and when i paint, it's contained to that shape, but I can't see the containing shape until I paint near the edge...
Can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 12.27.06 PM.png

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Boldlinedesign said:

I see there is a layer called "curve" with my shape in there - Is there a way to re-select it and make it a live selection again?

Hold CTRL or CMD and click on the Thumbnail of this layer, and you'll see a selection is created based on the curve :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you @Dan C I should have thought of that- I was right clicking and double clicking, etc... and my search online was not giving me answers - that makes sense now - love it!

So as I can "revive" an active selection from a curve, in what situation would I be saving the selection specifically? If I was going to use it in another design?

thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all, happy to help!

On 7/24/2020 at 5:54 PM, Boldlinedesign said:

So as I can "revive" an active selection from a curve, in what situation would I be saving the selection specifically? If I was going to use it in another design?

Some users don't like using Curves, so saving your selection is simply another method of receiving the same outcome - saving the selection also allows for a few more options, such as Add, Subtract and Intersect from an active selection :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 10 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @2doord,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Please see the following thread for information regarding creating selections from existing layers in Affinity for iPad -

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!