You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do you think its best to get extra brush packs?

Hi there,

I'd be really interested to know if you advise getting extra brush packs? I'm fairly new to design and especially AD, so have been slowly trying out the default brushes, but wondered if it would be good to get maybe the Eleni Debo Illustration Brush Pack for example?

I want to get into illustration and character design, and so just thought I'd ask your advice and see if you think that sort of thing would be needed for that?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica

My suggestion, @GraficoDesign, would be to start out with the brushes that come with the product, and then decide whether they do the job for you. If you can do what you want, at the level you're at, with the pre-installed brushes, then perhaps just stay with them. But if you outgrow (or have outgrown) their capabilities, then you might want additional brushes.

Note that the Eleni Debo brushes are raster brushes, so in Designer they work only in the Pixel Persona. So one thing you may want to do is figure out if you'll be using the Designer Persona or the Pixel Persona as your primary working environment. If you'll primarily be in the Designer Persona, using Affinity's vector brushes, then that pack may not be for you.

I'm curious about one other thing: are you working on a desktop or an iPad?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

My suggestion, @GraficoDesign, would be to start out with the brushes that come with the product, and then decide whether they do the job for you. If you can do what you want, at the level you're at, with the pre-installed brushes, then perhaps just stay with them. But if you outgrow (or have outgrown) their capabilities, then you might want additional brushes.

Note that the Eleni Debo brushes are raster brushes, so in Designer they work only in the Pixel Persona. So one thing you may want to do is figure out if you'll be using the Designer Persona or the Pixel Persona as your primary working environment. If you'll primarily be in the Designer Persona, using Affinity's vector brushes, then that pack may not be for you.

I'm curious about one other thing: are you working on a desktop or an iPad?

Thank you for your reply and the advice, that's great.

I'm using desktop.. as I said I'm fairly new to it all so will spend a bit more time figuring out what sort of thing I need :) 

I have done some designs where I have switched between the designer persona and the pixel persona.. does it matter if you change between the two if you're using it for print?

Thanks again! Jessica

You're welcome. I'm sure others will also have some advice :)

I don't think it would matter which Persona you use, nor whether you mix them. But I'm not an expert in that area.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello @GraficoDesign,

Take a look at this Thread, User @StuartRc has created a catalog with many resources.
Maybe there is something for you.
Whether the resources for commercial use are also free, I'm not sure.
So read the user conditions.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

4 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

Take a look at this Thread, User @StuartRc has created a catalog with many resources.
Maybe there is something for you.
Whether the resources for commercial use are also free, I'm not sure.

Please see Stuart’s post here:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)