You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(I've run into a problem I can't figure out...) brush tool stops working completely

I've run into an problem with Affinity on Mac desktop.  Using MacBook Pro OS Catalina 10.15.5  6 Core i7 processor, 16GB Ram, 177GB  available disc space, 27" 1929x1080 display.

I'm working on a file, a smallish one of 14.5 MB.  I've created several curves layers and a HSL layer.  I've inverted a curves layer and am painting with brush (with white) to reveal that  adjustment.  What happened is that at some point the brush tool stops working completely.  The adjustment stops being revealed.  If I quit the application and restart, the problem doesn't go away.  That was a cure for another file. 

I'm absolutely certain I'm painting on the correct layer with the correct color, with the proper tool.

There are no other open applications.    Suggestions as to what's causing this behavior?

Thanks....

• Staff

Hi @Palermo and Welcome to the Forums,

Can you make sure Protect Alpha isn't enabled on the Context Toolbar along the top of the Affinity when you have the brush selected.  Normally if a brush isn't working, it's that.  If isn't, then take a screenshot of your workspace with a brush selected and post it here :)  

Thanks for the reply stokerg.

Kind of unfortunately, or fortunately depending on point of view....  upon opening the file again: now it works.   I'm still uploading a screenshot so you can see what was there.  Nothing was changed.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 8.19.42 PM.png