You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where are the basic keyboard shortcuts?

For some reason... my basic shortcuts like bold (ctrl + B) don't work. I looked into the keyboard shortcuts and showed that most of these basic shortcuts are gone. I reset it multiple times and even reinstalled Affinity Photo. I manually filled some in, but that is ridiculous if I have to for these universal shortcuts. Oddly they don't even match Affinity's Help page for shortcuts.

Please help!

image.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Bucchoi. :)

You can reset the keyboard shortcuts via the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog. Launch the app while holding down the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and continue to hold down that key until the above dialog appears. Uncheck the default options (the first three) and check the ‘Reset Keyboard Shortcuts’ checkbox, and then press ‘Clear’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

<ctrl>B is a standard shortcut. You'll need to delete that before reassigning it to your preference

ctrlB.png.a84ce90cd7d5ef0890eeba1594cc66a1.png

The shortcuts are stored in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo\Shortcuts.xml and I would advise making a backup of that because if you ever do a reset as Alfred described above all shortcuts will revert to standard

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

That is strange, considering the Help file for AP indicates that "⌘B" is the default keyboard shortcut for bold text.  In my copy of AP, on a Mac, the "⌘B" keyboard shortcut listed in the preferences is blank as well.  Perhaps the default shortcuts have been changed and the Help document is out of date.

kirk

text.jpg

14 minutes ago, kirkt said:

That is strange, considering the Help file for AP indicates that "⌘B" is the default keyboard shortcut for bold text.  

And it is, but that list is for text shortcuts, and applies only when the text editing cursor is within text (Frame Text or Artistic Text) or a text tool is active. Then the text shortcuts override other shortcuts. Those text shortcuts are built-in for processing text, are not available for the user to reassign, and do not appear in the Keyboard Shortuts Preferences.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

And it is, but that list is for text shortcuts, and applies only when the text editing cursor is within text (Frame Text or Artistic Text) or a text tool is active. Then the text shortcuts override other shortcuts. Those text shortcuts are built-in for processing text, are not available for the user to reassign, and do not appear in the Keyboard Shortuts Preferences.

Hey @walt.farrell even when I am in the text tool CTRL + B doesn’t work to bold. I can CTRL + A to select all and copy and paste no problem. However, bold, italics, underline, etc. doesn’t work. When I press CTRL + B it automatically goes to my Brush tool... it’s quite frustrating. I’m a new AP user. I haven’t changed or customized anything. Everything is at default. 

42 minutes ago, Bucchoi said:

even when I am in the text tool CTRL + B doesn’t work to bold. I can CTRL + A to select all and copy and paste no problem. However, bold, italics, underline, etc. doesn’t work.

Does pushing the icons in the Context Toolbar work?

42 minutes ago, Bucchoi said:

CTRL + B it automatically goes to my Brush tool...

That seems odd, if you have the text cursor in the text frame. And if it's outside the frame, then your Ctrl+B is a shortcut for Grow, not for the Brush Tool. The Brush Tool is simply B, so that could indicate that your Ctrl key has a problem, possibly intermittent, as Ctrl+A worked for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Does pushing the icons in the Context Toolbar work?

That seems odd, if you have the text cursor in the text frame. And if it's outside the frame, then your Ctrl+B is a shortcut for Grow, not for the Brush Tool. The Brush Tool is simply B, so that could indicate that your Ctrl key has a problem, possibly intermittent, as Ctrl+A worked for you.

Yes, pushing the icons for bold works in the toolbar. I don't understand why it's not working... All my other apps work with these basic commands. It is only AP that has this issue.

• 1 month later...

AfPub 1.8.4.

Well, here goes with another newbie question from me. Here's what I see as far as tools are concerned.

ToolPallette-700.jpg.2baf756d928d9bc06009df033bee0018.jpg

And some of them have keyboard shortcuts in [brackets] like this:

TextToolHoverTextTip-700.jpg.c39abfd079c37c3d49bc0444e074e310.jpg

But what is the modifier key to press before pressing the "T" for the Frame Text Tool?

Oh, I see! As long as the cursor is not in a text box, apparently you can just press that key ("T" in this case), and the tool with that key assigned will be activated. But … what if the cursor is in a text box? Is there way to use keyboard shortcuts to get out and select a new tool? I see this in the Help:

AfPub1.8.4-Help-KeyboardShortcuts-700.jpg.9139cf894cde7977056e844cb7163330.jpg

Which led me to …

842405137_AfPub1.8.4-PreferencesTools-700.jpg.b0b7db4a35bae3b260a18e0353691f0c.jpg

All that I am able to do with Shift-T is toggle between the three tools that have "T" assigned to them. Of course, I can do that without the Shift key if I haven't selected the item circled above.

But I can't find any way to use keyboard shortcuts to get the cursor out of a text box and to a state of being where the mere "F" (for example) will take me to the Frame tool.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you!

1 hour ago, ETC said:

I can't find any way to use keyboard shortcuts to get the cursor out of a text box and to a state of being where the mere "F" (for example) will take me to the Frame tool.

Clicking the Esc key does it for me, without modifying any keyboard shortcuts. This is on a MacBook Pro with the Esc button in the Touch Bar, so I can't say for certain it will work on other configurations or OS's.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

4 minutes ago, h_d said:

so I can't say for certain it will work on other configurations or OS's.

ESC works the same way on Windows, too.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil