You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashes/Closes Constantly

@FYITom, @Juanjo Haro, @Romajzlo: As @Chris B mentioned above:

On 4/28/2021 at 9:22 AM, Chris B said:

In this thread, there are a number of suggestions to try and also advice on how to find crash reports.

I would suggest making your own thread as this one is extremely old and any issues in it may no longer be relevant to you. Please try and provide steps, files, info about your doc (8, 16, 32 bit etc.) and any crash reports.

If the advice in this thread, or my advice to turn off Hardware Acceleration, have not resolved your problem, I can only suggest following his recommendation to start your own thread in the current Bugs forum.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I will post in the bug forum cause i can't find any solution... the crash reports are missing, when hangs does not record anything... everything was working fine until the update but now even the old versions does not work... I'll do that post but i'm planning to move again to a photoshop license and abandon affinity cause i'm losing so much time when working.

• 3 weeks later...

Love Affinity Photo...but it doesn't love me back.

Suffered through the same unrelenting application freezes while doing the same procedural tasks (cloning, cropping, selecting, etc.), I stumbled on two suggestions that seemed to work. The Martin Ferenec Ram/Disc adjustment seemed to work, but only temporarily. The Walt Ferrel suggestion of disabling OpenCL seems to work so far.

Of course these "work-arounds" don't address the underlaying issues, so please, please, please Affinity...find a true solution for a very promising product.
Signed: New to affinity but still loyal.

1 hour ago, DSB Designer said:

Of course these "work-arounds" don't address the underlaying issues, so please, please, please Affinity...find a true solution for a very promising product.

If disabling OpenCL works, you may have experienced a bug in the graphics drivers installed on your system. And in that case your "true solution" may be to uninstall those graphics drivers and install an updated set from your video card manufacturer that doesn't have the bug that was causing the failure before.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

If the problems are caused by a faulty graphics driver, then all drivers since the last release of Affinity photo must have been faulty. Since the last release of Affinity, there have been several Nvidia updates and all of them have caused the same problems in Affinity.

André

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, FYITom said:

At the end of my tether with this. The hours of work I've lost because of this and still not a single fix other than "update your drivers" when my drivers are all up to date. Can I get a refund? I'll put it towards a Photoshop subscription

Go into Edit > Preferences > Performance and change your Renderer setting to Warp

This will bypass your graphics card and help let us know if it is definitely a graphics card/driver issue or something else

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 7/23/2020 at 5:52 PM, artbymaddesign.com said:

---  I am NOT using the 3rd party software mentioned in the "Issues caused by third party software" thread.

For example, I can run several images through GIMP, CaptureOne trial, and Topaz Denoise without issue.

Any help would be appreciated, as I was really looking forward to being Adobe-free.

-Michael

Hi Michael, I appreciate this is late, but it seems your crash will have been caused by the Capture One Explorer integration. 

You'll notice that Capture One is now listed in the "Issues caused by third party software" thread. NVIDIA are aware of the problem, and I think they may have released an updated driver which prevents the crash.

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi Michael, I appreciate this is late, but it seems your crash will have been caused by the Capture One Explorer integration. 

You'll notice that Capture One is now listed in the "Issues caused by third party software" thread. NVIDIA are aware of the problem, and I think they may have released an updated driver which prevents the crash.

Mark,

Your response is very much appreciated. After performing a clean install of the new video driver (471.41), it does appear to have solved my issue. Was the Capture One listing a newer development, or did I totally miss it the first time I posted my problem?

My temporary fix, prior to today, was to use an old NVIDIA driver all the way down in the 446.xx versions. That played well with Affinity and Capture One, but eventually caused problems in newer programs installed on my system. Glad they were able to fix it in the new driver.

I opened over 20 TIF files at once, and edited through all of them, with no issue in Affinity Photo. Thanks again for alerting me to the driver update.

-Michael

9 hours ago, artbymaddesign.com said:

Mark,

Your response is very much appreciated. After performing a clean install of the new video driver (471.41), it does appear to have solved my issue. Was the Capture One listing a newer development, or did I totally miss it the first time I posted my problem?

My temporary fix, prior to today, was to use an old NVIDIA driver all the way down in the 446.xx versions. That played well with Affinity and Capture One, but eventually caused problems in newer programs installed on my system. Glad they were able to fix it in the new driver.

I opened over 20 TIF files at once, and edited through all of them, with no issue in Affinity Photo. Thanks again for alerting me to the driver update.

-Michael

That's great Michael, I'm glad you're back up and running again! I don't think we knew about this problem when you made your original post. But either way, glad it's sorted now 🙂

• 3 months later...

Loads of crashes on my sides too.. Affinity can come up with lots of suggestions for external things that might be contributing, but bottom line is that Adobe, Skylum and others just manage to make things work.

A shame because this is really top notch software otherwise...