You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashes/Closes Constantly

---  I am NOT using the 3rd party software mentioned in the "Issues caused by third party software" thread. While I am using a 1060 6gb Nvidia card,  I am NOT experiencing render issues as suggested in that thread. No 3rd party clipboard manager is installed.  ---

I recently got off the Adobe train, and decided to do a fresh install of Windows on a clean drive (Adobe leaves so many residual files). System is Windows 10 64bit Pro (build 19041.388), first-gen i7 950 processor, 12 gb ram. Since performing the re-installation of the OS, Affinity Photo is unstable.

Issues:

Photo closes/crashes with no consistent cause. Sometimes it closes after I have just opened an image, or while trying to open an image. Sometimes it closes after I work a few seconds, and on rare occasion I can edit and save an image. It will then crash within 1 or 2 of the next images I try to edit. I've tested to make sure I can repeat the crash if I open images from different drive locations. The issue occurs whether I am opening/editing a .tif or .nef (Nikon raw) file. The abrupt closing/crashing happens during cropping, moving file with hand tool, creating/editing adjustment layer, etc. So there does not seem to be a consistent and repeatable action causing the crash/close. Affinity Photo worked fine on the previous installation of Windows, and I'm not experiencing errors in other programs, or imaging programs. For example, I can run several images through GIMP, CaptureOne trial, and Topaz Denoise without issue.

What I've tried:

Opening different file formats to repeat the crash, making sure the files open in other programs, and trying to open the same file from a different drive location.

Possible corrupt color profiles  ---  Reading the attachments in the crash report folder at "C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\attachments" showed Affinity Photo was skipping some color profiles, which were under 5 kb size. I took ownership of the folder at "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color," and moved the skipped color profiles to a different folder. But the crashes/closings persist.

"Let apps run in the background" is globally disabled.

Windows font cache service is disabled to allow for speedy font scanning in Nexusfont (not just stopped, disabled). I had this process stopped in the previous Windows installation, and Affinity programs worked fine. No third party fonts are in the system folder, and all fonts in the system folder render in Nexusfont. So corrupt font seems unlikely.

Any help would be appreciated, as I was really looking forward to being Adobe-free.

-Michael

A crash on document load is normally caused by issues with graphics card drivers. Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest version (I realise you said you've done a clean install of Windows recently, but if you could try that would be great).

The other crashes may have a crash dump for them, can you take a look in 

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

And see if there are any dumps in there? If so, could you attach one to this post?

Mark,

Thank you for your reply. I have attached the 3 latest crash reports. I'll go ahead and perform a clean install of the nvidia drivers. Now that you mention graphics drivers, something i did differently on this fresh install of Windows was to select the "studio" drivers instead of the "game ready" drivers that I usually install. Let me know if that's a known issue. Thanks again for your help.

-Michael

fe7f4e34-cdfb-4fa8-a121-20ad5246dd7b.dmp 7f3e5ec5-3b04-4f21-8173-97b84c8ce750.dmp 10536ed4-3ddc-42c0-b039-932fed996dba.dmp

9 hours ago, artbymaddesign.com said:

Mark,

Thank you for your reply. I have attached the 3 latest crash reports. I'll go ahead and perform a clean install of the nvidia drivers. Now that you mention graphics drivers, something i did differently on this fresh install of Windows was to select the "studio" drivers instead of the "game ready" drivers that I usually install. Let me know if that's a known issue. Thanks again for your help.

-Michael

fe7f4e34-cdfb-4fa8-a121-20ad5246dd7b.dmp 4.09 MB · 0 downloads 7f3e5ec5-3b04-4f21-8173-97b84c8ce750.dmp 3.71 MB · 0 downloads 10536ed4-3ddc-42c0-b039-932fed996dba.dmp 3.92 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks for those, I can see that it's crashing inside the driver (nvwgf2umx.dll) so I would definitely recommend an uninstall and reinstall of the drivers. Let me know how you get on.

Sorry Serif, but you have a problem. 

I originally switched to Affinity because the software I was using (not Adobe) kept crashing. I was therefore delighted to have  a programme that just did it's job.

Of late however, Affinity is a pain to use. It started when I noticed that refreshing the display was slow and obvious then becoming blocky (grey squares).

It has now degenerated to dark images in Develop and then closing in Develop or after progressing to photo.

I've read all the posts on this Blog and tried all the suggestions, pressing Ctrl when opening Affinity, uninstalling graphics card driver, changing driver from Studio to Game Ready, re-installing latest Affinity update, etc., etc. I've turned Tones and Exposure on and off in Develop Asst, and ensured I'm running RGB and it's 'managed.

What I've noticed of late is that, since doing the Ctrl-open app, the opening splash screen appears every time that I open Affinity, even if I uncheck the box. 

And, if I do get as far as 'Photo' the image from 'Develop' darkens after a few seconds and then Affinity closes down.

Set up is W10, Intel i58600, NVidia 1050Ti, 32GBDDR4 running latest Affinity.

All other photo processing software are running perfectly.

David

Would like to add that I have used the DDU tool to uninstall and reinstall the drivers in safe mode. Tried a older version of drivers, as well as the latest driver. Tried reinstalling Affinity Photo. I get the crash if I try to open an image in Affinity Designer as well. Publisher seemed to run okay. I could create a new document and place an image file. CaptureOne trial runs okay, illustration apps like Krita run okay. GIMP has some issue where I can't export the TIF files, so that's a no-go. There are various web reports on forums of people having an issue where a game would crash from the nvwgf2umx.dll file, and I try whatever they suggest to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions short of seppuku, I'm all ears. I was really counting on Affinity products for my image editing and occasional graphics/layout work.

Try to save the screen but the windows tool just saved the document I drew and not the affinity tools.

Problem: The program freezes when trying to put a layer below another one I'm working on.
WIndows 10. Latest version of Aff Ph.

Problems on date 26/7 for case investigation using CrashReports attached.

CrashReports.zip

• 4 months later...

For me I solved my problems by deleting all the files in the "Settings" folder and then starting the software again.

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Settings <--all files in this folder delete you could also try to delete file by file until the issue is fixed so that you do not loose all the settings

! WARNING ! Doing this will clear all the app settings so you will have to set them again so make sure you copy the "Settings" folder as a backup!

This issue happened when I was playing around in "Performance" settings with RAM usage. I do not know why but the sliders of "RAM Usage Limit" as the slider is in the centre but my systems MAX ram is selected.

image.png

Above you can see that the slider is in the centre but it says "32768 MB". That is my total RAM in the system. If this goes over my total system RAM the software crashes. I have set this amount to "16000 MB" which is an overkill for my use case.

I hope this helped and solved the problems 😁

Edited by Martin Ferenec
Added a warning

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Moin,

einerseits gut zu lesen, dass ich nicht alleine im Boot sitze. Andererseits würde ich natürlich lieber fließend arbeiten und nicht nach fast jedem Schritt schnell speichern.

Ich bin auf AF 1.9.2.1035, latest Update Windows 10 und es passiert mir mehrfach täglich, dass ich bei unterschiedlichen Vorgängen plötzlich ein kurzes Innehalten des Programmes habe und dann dreht sich die "Sanduhr",  der Taskmanager berichtet keine Rückmeldung und dass mir trotz längerem Warten (mal nen Kaffee holen oder durchaus mal 10 Minuten ganz vom Arbeitsplatz weg) nchts anderes übrig bleibt, dann per Taskmanager die Anwendung zu beenden.

Die Aktionen sind wirklich unterschiedlich: mal beim Füllen einer Auswahl, mal beim Anbringen einer Perspektive, mal beim Anwenden eines Verlaufs, mal beim umsortieren zwischen den Ebenen  usw.

Ich kann den Fehler aber nicht willentlich provozieren, es ist auch nicht ständig die gleiche Datei. Ich habe unterschiedliche RAWs (CR3) bearbeitet.

Ich würde ja auch gerne mit einem Crashreport bei der Suche unterstützen - wo wird dieser gespeichert?

------

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro --  10.0.2221 Build 22621 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz, 6 Kern(e), 12 logische(r) Prozessor(en)  -  Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630  -  16 GB RAM

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  - 2.0.0

--

Ventura 13.0.1  -  MacBook Pro  -   32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4  -  AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  -2.0.0

--

iPadOS 16.1 -   AF Photo 2.0.2.312, AF Designer 2.0.2.2, AF Publisher 2.0.2.1654

8 minutes ago, basabi said:

Ich würde ja auch gerne mit einem Crashreport bei der Suche unterstützen - wo wird dieser gespeichert?

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Danke,

diese beiden Berichte habe ich dort gefunden - mehr leider nicht - nichts  von heute oder den letzten Tagen???

-----

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro --  10.0.19041 Build 19041

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz, 6 Kern(e), 12 logische(r) Prozessor(en)

ntel(R) UHD Graphics 630

16 GB RAM

AF Photo  1.9.2.1035

cc05118a-25ed-4c6a-9b39-24f85ca4aff1.dmp fdc2fe4c-84fa-4e70-b0fe-2242a6739c85.dmp

------

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro --  10.0.2221 Build 22621 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz, 6 Kern(e), 12 logische(r) Prozessor(en)  -  Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630  -  16 GB RAM

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  - 2.0.0

--

Ventura 13.0.1  -  MacBook Pro  -   32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4  -  AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  -2.0.0

--

iPadOS 16.1 -   AF Photo 2.0.2.312, AF Designer 2.0.2.2, AF Publisher 2.0.2.1654

Hallo,

bei mir hängt sich Affinity Photo auch ständig auf. Manchmal schon nach einem bearbeiteten Bild, aber immer nach fünf bis höchstens zehn Bildern. 

Hilft zwar jetzt keinem weiter, aber man fühlt sich immer besser, wenn man mit seinen Problemen nicht allein ist.

(Hallo, Affinity Photo hangs frequently for me too. Sometimes after just one edited image, but always after five to ten images at the most.

Doesn't help anyone now, but you always feel better when you're not alone with your problems.)

Viele Grüße

André

Crashes every single time I use either normal or Beta version.  This is out of hand, once again an unusable program.  

I had to try four times yesterday to process one photo, maddening.  

Anybody have any useful fixes for this?  

Edited by GrimoirePhoto

• Staff

Hi GrimoirePhoto,

You haven't provided us with any information to be able to diagnose what's happening. In this thread, there are a number of suggestions to try and also advice on how to find crash reports.

I would suggest making your own thread as this one is extremely old and any issues in it may no longer be relevant to you. Please try and provide steps, files, info about your doc (8, 16, 32 bit etc.) and any crash reports.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm having major issues with it crashing all the time. It's since 1.9 on Windows 10. It's annoying because I keep losing work and I never had issues with crashing previously. Interestingly, my reports folder is empty. Even though it's always saying it's sending reports to Microsoft when it crashes.

On 6/8/2021 at 7:42 AM, Romajzlo said:

I need help. My Affinity constantly shutdown in different time intervals.

I am sending the DMP in the attachment.

I have already reinstalled windows 10 and the problem remains.

Thanks for help :)

First suggestion: Open your application Preferences (Edit > Preferences) and switch to the Performance section. If you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled, try disabling it. After restarting the application, see if things are better.

Hardware Acceleration is a new function in the Affinity application for Windows, and some users are having problems with their GPU drivers, which are out-of-date or have bugs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1