You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto-selecting next item on delete

Still loving the Affinity programs. Working in Designer lately, and not sure if it's a new thing or if I've just not really noticed it before, but after I delete a shape or curve, Affinity automatically selects the next layer. Is there a way to turn this off? Having to find a blank space to click and deselect an item (or reach up and hit the esc key) every time I delete something and want an unobstructed view is not very UX friendly. It's never selected the layer I'm going to change or work on next, so not sure what the point of it even is? Often the next layer isn't even in my view and I don't realise I've unknowingly changed something for a while. Feels really un-intuitive.

Really having trouble finding anything about this. Maybe I'm not wording things right in my searches? I just want to be able to delete something and not have it auto-select anything else.

Also, rather than posting a whole other topic, is it possible to duplicate an object with Alt+click & drag without having to hold the Alt key BEFORE clicking? Like if I'm dragging something and decide to duplicate it I feel like pressing and holding the Alt key during the drag should give the same end result (duplicating the object).

Thanks, guys.

I think it's already in the beta (Windows)

selection.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just now, Davideo said:

Or is it better to just wait until it's part of the official release?

One must choose one's own path in life

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You must be the philosopher in your House (under Arrest)?

@Davideo You find the latest beta here in the beta forums of your OS. Always the first post.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

I think it's already in the beta (Windows)

Also there in the Mac beta 1.8.4.5.

1930686142_ADgenprefs.jpg.bc7fb8ce074b14e5d3ac260d26948ee1.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

As Yogi Berra said, "when you come to the fork in the road, take it."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just noticed that this option is not available in the latest Photo beta but it is in the latest Publisher beta. Which seems a bit inconsistent and might be confusing for those users that may want to set it to its non-default setting in all apps.

Not sure if that is an oversight or "by design"?

I am not sure what that option should do, nor whether it is relevant to the OP's request.

The OP is talking about deleting an object, and not having another object become selected. That would not be a "keep selection" action, but a "don't select something else".

As worded, it seems like it should be related to the menu items Select > Selection from Layer and Select > Selection from Layer and Delete, but I'm not sure how it would work.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Also, and this might be a bug in the beta: In Publisher, that option is available in Preferences if one is in the Publisher Persona or the Designer Persona. But it is not available in Preferences if one is in the Photo Persona.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I am not sure what that option should do, nor whether it is relevant to the OP's request.

Have you tried it Walt?

Does it not work for you?

On 7/23/2020 at 12:18 PM, Davideo said:

is it possible to duplicate an object with Alt+click & drag without having to hold the Alt key BEFORE clicking?

Yes: if you use Cmd instead Alt.

I am rather confused that cmd/alt-drag may create a duplicate only when used on page view but not when used in the layers panel.
Any disadvantage if it would work there, too?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

50 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Have you tried it Walt?

Does it not work for you?

As I don't know what it should do, and its name makes no sense, it's difficult to test with certainty. However,

• If I have the option on, and I have several objects, and one of them selected, and I delete the object, another object is selected.
  • If I turn the option off, then when I delete an object no object is selected.

That does seem relevant to the OP's request.

However, the option is definitely misnamed. With it on it is not "keeping" the selection, which would be impossible since the selected object exists no more. It is selecting something else. So at a minimum that option needs to be renamed so it makes sense and is more self-explanatory. And it should also be made clear whether it's talking about deleting a layer selection or a pixel selection.

-- Walt
PC:

52 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:
  • If I turn the option off, then when I delete an object no object is selected.

That does seem relevant to the OP's request.

Is this a Windows/Mac difference in Affinity UI?

To me this "off" state of the new preference option is currently the way it works in v183 (without having the option there). So, for mac, this option can enable a new UI behavior that the OP experiences already but wants to avoid.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

However, the option is definitely misnamed.

I suspect it is supposed to suggest to beta testers (who they presume have read the change log) is 'Prefer to keep the retail version's selection after delete' behavior.

Obviously, this would be a poor choice for the eventual retail release so hopefully it will be changed before then.

Affinity Photo