You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows ink and Affinity Photo

First of all, I love to use my graphic tablet with windows ink enabled.... it gives a really nice user experience for me. Also on my experience of using the latest beta, Affinity is considered as Pen app (correct me, if i am wrong)

So, when I use Affinity Photo with this graphic tablet, in my work area, mouse location is different from my pen pointer... It only displays the pen pointer. it is really annoying as I can't really do middle click drag as well as any right click functionality...

Also, Affinity Photo is really hanging a lot with windows ink enabled, even a simple zooming to image takes time... Also, if I were to draw something, I am getting jagged lines.

There is no option for me to disable windows ink in Affinity Photo.  The tablet I use is Veikk A15 Pro.

it will be great if someone can provide option to disable Affinity as Pen App.

5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

When you use your pen, it controls the system cursor, so you can't have a mouse and a pen at the same time, else they would be fighting.

if thats the case, then is there any way to accomplish the middle click drag using pen pointer... any sort of way rather than using hand tool. or like any conversion of system cursor as mouse in affinity like sort of... really missing the drag feature. 

Please fix the performance issue while using windows pen in future update.

Also there is a bug... when I try to add text using pen Affinity Photo crashes, I can easily add text using mouse but with pen it crashes... it also crashes when I try to duplicate text layer using alt key shortcut using pen.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:58 AM, Mark Ingram said:

Do you have a video of the problem? 

Here is a video showing the jaggered lines with windows ink enabled. 

2nd video shows affinity closing itself when i tried to copy text layer using alt+drag shortcut.

3rd video shows the performance lag in affinity photo when I try to brush, this performance lag is through out the app.... I can't even move the sliders in develop persona..

@Safwan CK

1) I'd recommend leaving "Windows Ink" off, this will give you higher precision and smoother lines (as your video demonstrates).

2) Does it only crash when "Windows Ink" is enabled? Was Davinci Resolve already loading in the background, or did the shortcut trigger it to load?

3) Does the brush only lag with "Windows Ink" enabled? What is the brush spacing? Can you share the document and the brush you were using so we can try it here? What CPU do you have?

10 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

@Safwan CK

1) I'd recommend leaving "Windows Ink" off, this will give you higher precision and smoother lines (as your video demonstrates).

2) Does it only crash when "Windows Ink" is enabled? Was Davinci Resolve already loading in the background, or did the shortcut trigger it to load?

3) Does the brush only lag with "Windows Ink" enabled? What is the brush spacing? Can you share the document and the brush you were using so we can try it here? What CPU do you have?

1- I know turning off windows ink will have better experience, my point was to make Affinity Photo to be more compatible with windows ink. 

2- Nope, it also crashes with windows ink turned off. Davinci Resolve got nothing to do with the crash (I opened it manually)... The problem is I cant use my pen to create a text layer or to copy text layer.

3- Most of the lag for the brush comes while using windows ink.... with windows ink the clicks and the slide adjustment take time make the changes... As I mentioned when in develop mode, changing slider is very laggy.. I just recorded the 3rd video to showcase the performance lag..... 

My document size is 6000px * 3368 px (I even tried resizing the document to 1920, but still same problem)... brush spacing 1......CPU- ryzen 5 3550H.... GPU- Radeon RX560X...RAM-16GB 

Here is the link to file https://drive.google.com/file/d/1delYWhHCzeVXxJed9H85rwZDxJ9NYPiD/view?usp=sharing

I couldn't upload it here getting -200 error.

Edited by Safwan CK

On 7/26/2020 at 2:35 AM, Mark Ingram said:

@Safwan CK

today, I experienced another bug while trying to make a copy of pixel layer using alt drag, same as that of crashing without any warning mentioned above...

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.