You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selections: Shortcuts: Hide/Add to?

Title says it all:

I'm looking for a couple keyboard shortcuts for 'selection': Hide selection (I tried Ctrl H...doesn't seem to work), and 'Add to' selection: Alt/Mouse gets a selection 'subtraction'...for the life of me, I can't find 'selection addition' on the keyboard.

Also, I'd like to modify existing keyboard shortcuts...where do I go for that?

Finally, is there a link where all keyboard shortcuts reside?

Many thanks, very much appreciated!

Link to Affinity Photo Online Help

I think what you're wanting is the shortcut for Show Pixel Selection. There is not a shortcut for this by default, you need to set one. So go to the Preferences>Keyboard Shortcuts>View. Then scroll down to Shot Pixel Selection. I've set mine to use SHIFT+P.

pref-view-showpxsel.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Using Windows the Marquee can extend a selection by using both mouse buttons

Help is here  file:///C:/Program%20Files/Affinity/Photo/PhotoHelp/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/pages/Selections/selections_marquee.html

and it says, "Drag with left and right button down (Marquee and Freehand Selection tools) to automatically add areas to the current selection." What it doesn't say is release the left button first

The shortcuts are stored in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo\Shortcuts.xml

and this

<Item type="Command" command="Serif.Interop.Persona.Commands.TogglePixelSelectionCommand, Serif.Interop.Persona, Version=1.8.3.641, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" key="H" modifierKeys="Control" />

is the entry for my preffered shortcut <ctrl>H which Hides/Shows the selection like I am used to. I did that as Ron P. explains above, I wouldn't edit the .xml directly

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Thanks Ron P...that worked! Shouldn't there be a default hide/show pixel keyboard shortcut? In any case, much appreciated.

David: Thanks! Dragging the mouse works perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't really understand that other stuff...I'm disabled and have problems with non-normative English. But thanks for the response!

When I put: file:///C:/Users/%3Cyour%20user%20name%3E/AppData/Roaming/Affinity/Photo/1.0/Workspaces/Photo/Shortcuts.xml in my browser, I only get 'File not Found'.

Also, I don't understand this:

Settings

The settings for each tool vary but may include some or all of the following settings, which can be adjusted from the context toolbar:

• Mode—select from New, Add, Subtract, and Intersect.

What is the 'context toolbar'? Where is 'Mode'?

Many thanks!

4 hours ago, imagegod said:

When @David in Яuislip wrote ‘<your user name>’, he intended you to substitute your Windows user/login name. Try this instead:

%AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo\Shortcuts.xml

Also, I don't understand this:

Settings

The settings for each tool vary but may include some or all of the following settings, which can be adjusted from the context toolbar:

• Mode—select from New, Add, Subtract, and Intersect.

What is the 'context toolbar'? Where is 'Mode'?

Please see: Affinity Photo Help: Context toolbar

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

My guess why there is no CTRL-H is that this shortcut is used in mac systems (well... CMD-H) to hide application and it works universally. (That did not prevent Adobe using it in PS (and its use in PS may well be older than Apple usage).) Affinity devs did not see fit to get around this Apple behaviour. 

I truly wish selection add/subtract would work with mod keys, using toolbar for it is not just effective.

8 minutes ago, Fixx said:

My guess why there is no CTRL-H is that this shortcut is used in mac systems to hide application and it works universally. (That did not prevent Adobe using it in PS (and its use in PS may well be older than Apple usage).) Affinity devs did not see fit to get around this Apple behaviour. 

I truly wish selection add/subtract would work with mod keys, using toolbar for it is not just effective.

Totally agree...thanks!