You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm sure there's a perfectly simple answer to this question, but I'm new to publisher and I don't have a book to refer to. After assembling my document, I decided to put in a semi-transparent image beneath the composition. When I placed the image on the lowest layer, I noticed that all my text was sitting in white, horizontal boxes. Now my document looks like a ransom note. I've looked in every menu and every tool, and I can't remove the white background behind my text. Any thoughts? Image attached.Thanks in advance. 

P.S. Whats the difference in function between the Place Image tool and the Picture Frame Rectangle tool?

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 10.21.41 PM.png

I guess you have a background color applied to your text. See image. There you can change the background back to transparent.

For your P.S.: I am not sure, if I ever read an explaining answer since I started to work with APu. Coming from ID this two-kind-of-placing was irritating to me. I use the simple Place command for images I know of, that they are never going to be altered. The picture frame I use for images in irregular shapes or images to be moved or scaled in the frame. Or someone else has some more profound insights why there are two ways of treating "images"?

Edit: Too slow. :(

background.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

19 minutes ago, Palatino said:

Take a look at the screenshot of Joachim.

If we had a screenshot of Joachim, we could see his hamster hairdo. ;)

Both @Joachim_L’s screenshot and @Palatino’s screenshot show the foreground and background swatches in the Character panel. Click on the white background swatch to display the Swatches/Colour (Farbfelder/Farbe) panel group for access to the transparency well.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)