Jowday

[By bad Design] Trapezoid gradients rasterized

hm.pdf attached contains a trapezoid gradient. It is imported as vector by Designer. But on export to PDF/SVG it is rasterized!

Designer makes these trapezoid gradients by the dozen itself - when you use shear on an object - so it is disastrous that even a basic shape ends up rasterized after a little use of shear:

hm.pdf

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

Hi Jowday,

This is By Design. If you don't want the rasterisation to happen then you can set 'Rasterise: Nothing' in the export options. This will maintain a vector gradient as close to the source as possible without rasterising it.

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Jowday,

This is By Design. If you don't want the rasterisation to happen then you can set 'Rasterise: Nothing' in the export options. This will maintain a vector gradient as close to the source as possible without rasterising it.

Hi and thanks @Sean P

Could you please provide some customer feedback from me to the usability and workflow decision makers (a real UX I really, really hope):

I never want rasterization to happen when exporting to SVG. That is why I (would) use SVG. And not to PDF as an exchange format either. I actually work and export pure vector files in the work I do so the behind my back conversions to bitmap is pure Hell. It requires painstakingly pointless investigations of the output files to find the bitmap and figure out why an element was rasterized. Try that in a complex design A2 size.

• As a minimum you need a pre-flight tool like the preflight tool in Publisher to warn the customer BEFORE exporting and optimally during the design proces that an element will be exported rasterized (and optimally with tips to avoid it) when the outout intent is vector.
  • Rasterize nothing doesn't tell the customer what effect that option has - the help is not clear; it sound more like filter out unsupported effects:
  • Rasterise—select an option for rasterizing design elements which are unsupported by the file format. Select from the pop-up menu:
    • Nothing—no elements within the design are rasterised on export, therefore unsupported elements are not included in the exported file.

So who would have guessed that a conversion takes place in this case? And when is it not the case in other scenarios?

The shear effect will be used a lot now no perspective tools are available in Designer... and will a forthcoming perspective tool also rasterize gradients by default... unless rasterize nothing is selected?

Anyway, thank you for you always kind support @Sean P - I know being a middle man is front line duty 🙂

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

4 hours ago, Jowday said:

I never want rasterization to happen when exporting to SVG.

You  might consider creating an Export Preset that specifies Rasterize Nothing (More... dialog) and always using that Preset when exporting SVG files.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

You  might consider creating an Export Preset that specifies Rasterize Nothing (More... dialog) and always using that Preset when exporting SVG files.

Of course. But when does it convert and when does it remove something entirely? We need more feedback.

Just now, Jowday said:

We need more feedback.

Or at least more information. I am used to "Rasterize Nothing" meaning: if something can't be done purely as vector, just delete it rather than rasterizing it. This is the first I've heard of Affinity having situations where it says "well, I can't do that exact thing as a vector, so I'll use something else that's probably close enough".

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Or at least more information. I am used to "Rasterize Nothing" meaning: if something can't be done purely as vector, just delete it rather than rasterizing it. This is the first I've heard of Affinity having situations where it says "well, I can't do that exact thing as a vector, so I'll use something else that's probably close enough".

Exactly, Walt. What I am talking about is feedback from the user interface - information - as a bare minimum solution. That is how I understood rasterize nothing too - until now. So who knows what Designer can kinda convert to vector? And what does it skip?

Feedback is a cornerstone in acceptable or good usability. The pre-flight tool in Publisher is a primitive but very effective tool for feedback you can act upon immediately - or later. I would need a vector output pre-flight tool to use Designer for actual work... or to know if Designer can deliver the vector output I need at all.

If you do enable 'Rasterize nothing' you won't get an alert that something will be rasterized in 1.8.x - so you will have to use another preset from time to time to check for unwanted rasterisations.