You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I achieve this in designer?

2 hours ago, oquendoG said:

Hi I'm doing a graphic design course in udemy with corel but trying to achive the same results in designer.

But I can't achieve this form, the options shown in corel aren't available in designer and I'm stuck. how can I do it?

Thanks

designer.png

Why? It’s a simple vector "thing" - easy to draw...

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

Easy for those that know, not so easy for a novice, maybe show him how easy it is.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Easy for those that know, not so easy for a novice, maybe show him how easy it is.

Right I'm just starting with this kind of work, I work well with photo edting images but I am learning how to make logos and posters etc

Probably the easiest way to draw this shape is to make 4 ellipses for each of the coloured shapes. The four ellipses will have zero fill and zero stroke. you can draw the shapes and use the geometry (boolean) Intersect option.

I’ve just done this roughly to show how it’s drawn.
image.png.142b040203dae3bf69997806eab494cb.png

From here you do geometry Intersect. Notice the blank ellipse is above the drawn shape.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The problem is you have 2 closed objects, so you aren't actually joining two lines.  You are adding a solid circular shape to the other shape, which being under (either behind or in front of) the solid circle makes the other shape disappear. 

If you subtract the odd shape from the circle, the odd shape must be above the circle in the layers panel, then you will have a circle with the odd shaped hole, which is more what I think you want.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

19 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

The problem is you have 2 closed objects, so you aren't actually joining two lines.  You are adding a solid circular shape to the other shape, which being under (either behind or in front of) the solid circle makes the other shape disappear. 

If you subtract the odd shape from the circle, the odd shape must be above the circle in the layers panel, then you will have a circle with the odd shaped hole, which is more what I think you want.

I'm trying to replicate step by step what the professor is doing, not trying to make a vectorization , I´ve solved the first step this way, maybe is a start. Thanks for your help

2020-07-22_16-39-52.mkv

Excellent effort, the only thing it needs is a bit of refinement on the shape but that’s knowing how to manipulate the nodes using the Node tool (A) and all of that comes with practice and experience.

You can reduce the opacity of the curve layer to 50% so you can see the underlying “trace image” to more accurately place the nodes, then, when you feel you have it right just increase the curves layer opacity back to 100%