You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No icons Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical and Rotate in the top toolbar.

Can someone explain why there are no and it is not possible to put these icons in the upper toolbar in Affinity Photo, of course you can mirror the object via the menu - Arrange - Flip Horizontal.
There are these icons in Affinity Designer and Publisher, but not in Photo.
What reason? aren't objects reflected in photo?
This is it, and many other shortcomings in Affinity since its launch that have been neglected and continue right up to version Beta 1.8.4.
If these basic errors in using the program are not corrected, they will move to the new version 2.0
Have someone from Serif handle the visual tweaks to the Affinity suite in addition to coming up with new stuff.
I wrote about it many times - give Serif Account number - I will transfer money for these corrections.
I use all of your Affinity suite on Windows, Mac and iPad.

4 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

Can someone explain why there are no and it is not possible to put these icons in the upper toolbar in Affinity Photo, of course you can mirror the object via the menu - Arrange - Flip Horizontal.
There are these icons in Affinity Designer and Publisher, but not in Photo.
What reason? aren't objects reflected in photo?
This is it, and many other shortcomings in Affinity since its launch that have been neglected and continue right up to version Beta 1.8.4.
If these basic errors in using the program are not corrected, they will move to the new version 2.0
Have someone from Serif handle the visual tweaks to the Affinity suite in addition to coming up with new stuff.
I wrote about it many times - give Serif Account number - I will transfer money for these corrections.
I use all of your Affinity suite on Windows, Mac and iPad.

You did well! I support you.

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

It would, I think, be more appropriate to post that as a Feature Request, @GRAFKOM. Or to add to one of the existing ones you'll probably find there. That will ensure that the right people at Serif see it.

The beta forums are more for discussing the changes that have been made by Serif in the beta, or for reporting errors that happen in the beta that do not happen in the retail version. Not for requesting new functions (except possibly additional function in something that is was changed in the beta).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I still can't imagine, why a set of buttons is not implemented although a) the functionality is there (from the Align menu) and b) the button set is included (but invisible).

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

8 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I still can't imagine, why a set of buttons is not implemented although a) the functionality is there (from the Align menu) and b) the button set is included (but invisible).

Possibly because, as mentioned in another topic (somewhere), Photo does not have the same functionality as Designer and Publisher (which both have those buttons).

In Designer and Publisher, the buttons implement the Layer > Transform > Flip (Horizontal | Vertical) function.

And Photo does have that, via the Arrange menu. However, Photo also has Document > Flip (Horizontal | Vertical), which Designer and Publisher don't have. Perhaps the Serif Developers believe that having one set of buttons when there are two possible actions the user might want would be confusing. By forcing the user to use the menu (or setup shortcuts for the Arrange function) it will be more obvious what the user intends.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Sorry, I can't follow. Using the Flip button in APublisher flips a selected element. Using the Flip button in APhoto (don't ask how) flips a selected element. So technically the Flip would be / is doing the same, regardless in which menu it might appear. I don't find a button in the toolbar confusing which reads "Flip horizontal". The button is doing what I expect: Flipping horizontal. But as a personal conclusion: I don't have to solve every mistery and Serif knows for sure better what they are doing with their applications. :)

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

15 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Using the Flip button in APhoto (don't ask how) flips a selected element.

I know how (or, I can guess, though I have not tried this specific one). But as designed there is no Flip button available in Photo, using the approved configuration mechanisms.

If there were such a button easily available, users might be confused about which of the two "Flip" functions that Photo provides it would perform. I am suggesting that Serif has chosen not to make the button available via the standard configuration mechanisms to avoid that confusion.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

which of the two "Flip" functions that Photo provides

Which TWO? The buttons are just some kind of shortcuts, like a keyboard shortcut. If you hover the icons in the top toolbar the tooltips are just saying what the buttons do and not in which menu they are located.

------

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If there were such a button easily available, users might be confused about which of the two "Flip" functions that Photo provides it would perform.

They could click the button to discover what it does, surely. A new user doesn't really know what any button does until they try using it.

My guess is that the missing optional flip buttons are simply an oversight.

Just now, Joachim_L said:

Which TWO? The buttons are just some kind of shortcuts, like a keyboard shortcut. If you hover the icons in the top toolbar the tooltips are just saying what the buttons do and not in which menu they are located.

Document > Flip (Horizontal | Vertical) or
Arrange > (Flip Horizontal | Flip Vertical)

They are two different functions in Photo, performing two different actions. The Document one flips the entire document (as one would expect from its menu placement), and is probably the one most photographers would want most of the time. The Arrange one flips only the selected layer(s), and is probably used less often by most photographers.

Having a button that just says "Flip Horizontal" or "Flip Vertical" doesn't indicate which of those functions is performed, and would be confusing. Having a button which is useful most of the time, but which performs a different function than it performs in Designer or Publisher would be confusing in a different way.

-- Walt
PC:

I wish Serif would give me a choice if I need these buttons or not in the top bar (as are the other selectable buttons). Only at this point I can't select them as they are not available. I personally think this is a mistake and an oversight.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They are two different functions in Photo, performing two different actions.

Yes, you are correct - what an oversight. Sorry.

------

• Staff

Potentially an oversight but it could also be by design. If we start adding every icon from all apps on the main toolbars, we would quickly run out of space and force them to appear on a dropdown list. This would of course be more problematic for smaller, lower resolution displays.

I imagine flipping objects might be more useful for Designer which is why they are on the main toolbar. It is probably less useful for Photo as you may wish to just flip the image once and then spend time editing the image, so the option is tucked away. Then again, who am I to say what a user wants/needs. This is just what I think the reason might be behind the decision.

What we should really do is give you the option to add them if you want, as @GRAFKOM suggests. 

All the apps do not need to display the same icons but giving the user the option to customise what they need should be considrered here. I am just waiting to find out officially what the reason is and I will update you once I get a response. 

4 minutes ago, Chris B said:

What we should really do is give you the option to add them if you want, as @GRAFKOM suggests. 

Yes, exactly, I want to be able to add these icons to the toolbar, after all the user can decide which icons he needs for his best work. Depending on the size of your monitor, it may add more icons.
Why can't I add a second or third row of icons in the top bar.
I personally have a 27 inch monitor (probably not the only one out of 2 million Affinity users) and I really have a lot of space to put up to 100 additional icons.
I have been working at CorelDraw for 30 years. In this program it is possible to add or even create an icon to each command that is in the top menu.
Please Serif: Give users more freedom to create icons in the top toolbar. (e.g. new, open, print, import, export, undo, redo etc.).
Who will not want to clutter the screen, this will not add icons and others will have the option to add them.

Of course, I don't want anything for free.
Give Serif account number. I am happy to pay for these changes and others.

Just now, Chris B said:

We would like to add these as options under 'Customise Toolbar' but not enable them by default. We will also make sure this is added to the documentation :) 

That's exactly the solution I hoped for. Thanks!

How about extending that to making all buttons that would function in a given app be available for customising that app's toolbar?

• Staff
Just now, anon2 said:

How about extending that to making all buttons that would function in a given app be available for customising that app's toolbar?

Whoever addresses the issue will see your comment and hopefully make a decision. I can't see why this wouldn't be possible.

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Whoever addresses the issue will see your comment and hopefully make a decision.

They may also surprise us with a few customizable icons that we can apply to any menu item (shortcut) we like

Damn!: Did I just ruin the surprise?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

21 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Document > Flip (Horizontal | Vertical) or
Arrange > (Flip Horizontal | Flip Vertical)

They are two different functions in Photo, performing two different actions. The Document one flips the entire document (as one would expect from its menu placement), and is probably the one most photographers would want most of the time. The Arrange one flips only the selected layer(s), and is probably used less often by most photographers.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

It could be the same buttons, with different actions depending of :

1. Nothing selected: flip the whole document
  2. Selection: flip the selected items

24 minutes ago, Wosven said:

It could be the same buttons, with different actions depending of :

1. Nothing selected: flip the whole document
  2. Selection: flip the selected items

I thought about that too.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.