You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how do I change background fill on text box?

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

By the way, that doesn't seem to work on Windows:

It is working in the most recent Mac betas as well as the Mac retail versions.

If the bug gets fixed at some point in the future, it will be interesting to see what happens for users who have added the panel to one (or more) of their View > Studio Presets.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

This is incredibly frustrating, and frankly, counter intuitive given that Publisher has text frames which are basically paragraph text.

If I want a rectangle to have a fill and stroke, and want text to appear inside that rectangle, the only way I've found to accomplish  it is to create the text first, then create the rectangle and color as needed, send it behind the text, center the two objects and adjust them separately.

If I create the rectangle first, when attempting to insert a text object on top it, Designer assumes I want to "convert" the rectangle to a text object, removes the fill/stroke, and adds text where the rectangle was.

That's inelegant and inefficient.

43 minutes ago, Clayton King said:

If I create the rectangle first, when attempting to insert a text object on top it, Designer assumes I want to "convert" the rectangle to a text object, removes the fill/stroke, and adds text where the rectangle was.

Once you know that Designer will convert the rectangle to a text frame, it’s easy enough to duplicate the rectangle before you attempt to add any text. Then the original rectangle will remain intact and the unfilled text frame will sit on top of it, correctly aligned.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Once you know that Designer will convert the rectangle to a text frame, it’s easy enough to duplicate the rectangle before you attempt to add any text. Then the original rectangle will remain intact and the unfilled text frame will sit on top of it, correctly aligned.

You are correct. That's a highly counter intuitive workflow, but it will certainly work!

2 hours ago, Clayton King said:

want text to appear inside that rectangle

A couple of ideas e.g. in this thread:

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 months later...

Another "until the bug is fixed" solution is to make an asset that is a frame surrounded text box.  To do this:

1. Create a frame using the vector shape you want, rectangle, ellipse, etc.  
  2. Set the desired frames border line and fill to what you want.
  3. In a nearby area use the Text Frame Tool to create the text: "TEXT" with the font and color that you want.
  4. Using the align tool, align the vector frame and the Text frame both horizontally and vertically.
  5. Select the aligned frames and group them,  Ctr-G.
  6. Select the grouped frames and in the Assets panel click the pull down menu (upper right corner of panel) and select "Add from Selection".
  7. Now, when you need to insert a framed text box you can drag the template frame, with the word TEXT in it, where you want it.  You still need to edit the text and resize the box to fit the text you add, but the frames should stay aligned and the text will have the desired font and the frame will have the desired line and fill.  

• 2 years later...