jennifer

how do I change background fill on text box?

Hi - I'm new to Affinity (from Illustrator and Photoshop) but I'm having trouble finding info on how to do the basics - old habits from the CS software I guess

How do I change the background fill on a text box??

I can change the fill on a shape no problem,

but all that shows up on the menu when I'm working on a text box is a fill color for the text itself - what am I missing?

thanks

yep - thanks that's what I've done, but it seems clumsy for such an elegantly designed program -

guess I'm really waiting for Publisher since I mostly do page layout

Jennifer

MEB,

I just tried that suggestion; as the Show Character didn't have an arrow indicating any sub menu and I have not needed Show Character yet, I had no idea this was there!

I still do not know where I might have a use for this that an additional shape with a fill would not work better/easier but it is definitely going into the toolbag for when the day comes that I do want it.

Thanks!

Hi justwilliam,

It's not supposed to be an alternative solution. I agree with you, it's not of much use other than maybe highlight some text.

What you suggested is the best way to solve it. That's why i said it wasn't the same thing.

Currently there's no way to set a fill colour for the text box and even if there was, there no space around the text inside it so it would look too tight.

Maybe if there was an option to set a padding value or something... but that's probably going to far for this  :P

That's not true, MEB, as the text box could have basic padding and alignment attributes. That was even a basic attribute of tables in Microsoft Word in the 90s.

Affinity Designer doesn't have that feature, and, okay, fine, but what you therefore claimed is not true.

It would be a very useful feature because then I could modify the shape, content, or style of the text box without then having to modify the box beneath it.

Still, this program is a steal for just $50 to own when the other product is $60 per month to rent.

Edited by meribor
clarification

That feature is available in Publisher. Would make sense to have it in Designer too but it is not yet in Designer beta.

12 hours ago, bandass said:

Use the Appearance Panel to add a new Fill to your text object by using the "new Fill" icon at the bottom of the panel. Next, highlight this new fill when it appears in the Appearance panel and use the Effect called "Convert to Shape".

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @bandass.

Thanks for the suggestion. Note that the Appearance panel is new in the 1.7 beta for Designer. Also, I cannot get your instructions to work for a text object. Clicking on the "New Fill" button doesn't do anything for me. I'm using Windows, in case that matters.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.864 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.864 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.863 Beta.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:59 AM, Fixx said:

That feature is available in Publisher. Would make sense to have it in Designer too but it is not yet in Designer beta.

If it's available in Publisher, can you say where it is?  In neither Designer nor Publisher have I been able to change the background colour of a text box.  I did manage to create a text box with a background colour, but only by drawing the shape first, and then converting it to a textbox by clicking on it with the text frame tool. Any help gratefully received.

I also wait a long time for a feature that allow me to fill the Textbox with a background color. In any Interfaceprojekt I use this to reduce the Layers for Buttons. A clear understandable structure is the key, that many people can work on one project. That include less layers as possible. I remember sketch also have this option, don't understand why Affinity Designer don't 

Create a shape box and set the fill and stroke as you see fit.  Then right click the box using the pointer icon and convert to text frame.  It converts it to shape text.  A bit cumbersome but it works

16 minutes ago, 3joern said:

I know, but after the convert to Textframe, you can't change the color.

In Publisher you can, using the Text Frame studio panel. In Designer and Photo, which don't have that panel, you can't.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.864 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.864 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.863 Beta.