You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, I noticed in Affinity photo that both Mesh Warp and Perspective are a one and done tool. So if wanted to take basic text and rasterize it, then do my warping and apply it, but then realize I went a little too far, I can't go back to that point in the mesh and edit from where I left off. Is there something I'm missing where I'm doing this incorrectly?

117570185_ScreenShot2020-07-21at7_00_07PM.thumb.png.72dadb087330e2d550d458fed47b12bd.png

2113922689_ScreenShot2020-07-21at7_00_15PM.thumb.png.007c46aeb2f511a23992affa380ed49a.png

1983511939_ScreenShot2020-07-21at7_00_20PM.thumb.png.1b102545b85bd4a4a88aebc7d005057f.png

The Mesh Warp and Perspective tools are destructive processes, in so much as you cannot go back modify/tweak any adjustments after applying, unless the file is kept open and you can then undo but it would be like starting over so is kind of a moot point. You could also save the document with history - an option on the File menu dropdown, and then close the document and open it back up to go back but again you will go back to before the application of the mesh warp.

Best scenario for now is to duplicate the text layer and turn that off, warp the original text and if you find the warp isn’t right go back, turn on the duplicate text and warp that using the original warped text as a guide.

image.png.60d29c755206659f826aa3bf721cbbd8.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The Mesh Warp and Perspective tools are destructive processes, in so much as you cannot go back modify/tweak any adjustments after applying, unless the file is kept open and you can then undo but it would be like starting over so is kind of a moot point. You could also save the document with history - an option on the File menu dropdown, and then close the document and open it back up to go back but again you will go back to before the application of the mesh warp.

Best scenario for now is to duplicate the text layer and turn that off, warp the original text and if you find the warp isn’t right go back, turn on the duplicate text and warp that using the original warped text as a guide.

image.png.60d29c755206659f826aa3bf721cbbd8.png

That's a bummer, is that just because it's a rasterized pixel layer and not a vector layer? I'm hoping for vector warps and envelope distortion on Designer in the next update

27 minutes ago, Pat Rick said:

That's a bummer, is that just because it's a rasterized pixel layer and not a vector layer? I'm hoping for vector warps and envelope distortion on Designer in the next update

Yes I would say so, vector envelope distortions are generally non-destructive. In illustrator applying the warp effect shows up in the appearance panel and double clicking enables you to edit the warp you applied. You can also have multiple warp effects.

Example from Adobe Illustrator.
image.png.1d55c68c918a62e6f07470326fa51d0b.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions