You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Repeating Textured Intensity Brushes

I’m having difficulty making custom vector brushes that behave the way I expect.  I failed more often than I succeeded, so I decided to take a close look at this kind of brush.

Looking back, I’ve learned some useful things, got some surprises, and found things that appear to be broken and need some attention from Serif/Affinity.

I started by scouring the Help and the forums.  I found several informative threads about making vector brushes, especially this one started by @AnnieW

I learned a lot from this exercise and I hope this information will help others.  I also found repeatable unexpected behavior that I don’t understand, so I’m hoping someone can help, please.

After reading AnnieW’s epic thread, I made some brushes and started to examine their behavior closely.  To keep things simple, I decided to start with just one kind of brush, Textured Intensity Brushes that produce repeating patterns.

The Brushes
I made 3 Textured Intensity brushes based on the same graphic at different sizes (128px, 256px and 512px).  Brush Editor details are:
3X 128px Brush:

•  Nozzle: Combined 3 copies of the 128px source image.
  •  Width 128px, Head offset 128px, Tail offset 256px, Body set to REPEAT

3X 256px Brush:

• Nozzle: Combined 3 copies of the 256px source image.
  • Width 256px, Head offset 256px, Tail offset 512px, Body set to REPEAT

1X 512px Brush:

• Nozzle: 1 copy of the 512px source image.
  • Width 512px, Head offset 0px, Tail offset 512px, Body set to REPEAT - so this brush essentially has neither Head nor Tail.

Test File
This is all in one file with 4 Artboards.  There is one dartboard for each of the 3 brushes described above, and a fourth for some other brush.  The Artboards are named for the subject brush.  I also exported the brushes, and attached them in a .AFBrush file.

Each Artboard contains

1. The exported nozzle .PNG image (only for the 3 brushes described above), and
  2. Several curves with the brush applied, with Stroke Width set to the Width of the brush, except for Artboard 4.  All of the curves are “simple” with just two nodes, no complex curve geometry.  All curves have Scale with Object ON.
  3. a set of straight curves in lengths that are multiples of the brush width - hoping these would show the simplest brush behavior (no need to deform to the curve, simple numbers of repeats)
  4. a set of gently twisted curves of different lengths to examine how the brush deforms to follow the curve.

The uploaded file represents the initial state for each of these tests.  I can reproduce these behaviors at will.  You can explore in any order, just be sure to start from the initial state (re-load the file or flush the history). Behavior on iPad and MacBook is the same unless otherwise noted.

Artboards 1, 2 and 3

1. Behavior on the “Straight” curves - In Order (2 and 3 have Scale with Object ON)
    1. Scale with Object:  Varying this setting changes the appearance of the brush stroke - but sometimes in surprising ways.  This is with the file in its initial state, no edits required to trigger the behavior described.
      • iPad:
        • turning this setting OFF deforms the stroke, with severe horizontal compression at what appears to be the correct stroke width.
        • Enabling it produces a result that looks good to me.
      • MacBook:
        • Same as iPad, but the degree of deformation clearly varies with the length of the curve.
      • Choice of Brush: The way the 1X 512px brush changes differs from the way the other two brushes change (idifferent nozzle structure).
        • Scale with Object ON appears to insert fewer repeats than the short curves can accommodate.
        • Scale with Object OFF is better but also fails for the shortest curve
      • I’m surprised Scale with Object has any effect in these circumstances as we’re not changing the size of the object.  Surely it needs a “before” size and an “after“ size to figure out how to adjust the stroke width?  This behavior persists even if you re-apply the brush to the curve.
      • I checked, and I can’t reproduce this behavior on a new curve in a new document with the same brushes, no matter the value of Scale with Object at the time the curve is created.  I’m going to inspect that more closely later.
    2. Cap: Varying the choice of Cap for the stroke also makes a difference.
      • Both Round and Square Caps essentially destroy this particular brush stroke - repeatably.  Butt Cap is the only option that preserves the appearance of the brush.  I’ve experimented with Cap many times on other brushes, this is the only time I’ve seen it destroy a stroke, so I’m rather surprised.  What’s up - is there a BUG somewhere?
    3. Length of Curve: Varying the length of the curves seems to be an adventure in its own right
      • If you extend a curve by dragging an end node, the appearance of the stroke changes slightly.  If you observe closely, you can see the repeats get stretched/compressed as you drag an end node until an apparent threshold at which point another repeat gets added and all the repeats resize accordingly.  Very good.  Except for the fact that Scale with Object is ON - see next para.
      • If you extend a curve by dragging an end node, and then use Transform to shorten it, the appearance of the stroke changes dramatically.  By selecting the Node tool you can see that Transform adjusted stroke Width (seems to be expected with Scale with Object set ON) .
      • If you extend one of the curves using Transform the Stroke Width gets bigger (I anchored the left end, extended to the right, but this does not seem to matter).  Well, since we have Scale with Object ON, that’s probably what should happen.  But it appears this does not happen when you lengthen the curve by dragging the right-end node.
      • Why does it matter how you change the length of a curve/size of an object?  Seems Transform has it correct, dragging a node is not so smart,
    4. Stroke Width: Varying stroke width to values smaller than the defined width of the brush generally seems to improve the appearance of the result - it looks more like the brush nozzle image.  The bounded range of the Stroke Width slider limits testing, so it is hard to see what happens at Widths above 100px.
  2. Behaviour on the “Bent” curves (2 and 3 have Scale with Object ON)
    1. I’m aware that AD has to deform a brush stroke to adapt to bent curves, but I’d like to have a better understanding of how that affects the final appearance of the stroke and what, if anything, I can do to reduce the deformation.  I guess some brushes are not going to work well on acute bends.
    2. Scale with Object:  ON consistently produces a better result than OFF for all brushes.  Is this really correct?
    3. Cap: Butt Cap is consistently better than Round or Square.  Round and Square Caps both tend to fragment the nozzle image at the ends of the curve.  Fewer repeats (Body) lead to more fragmentation.
    4. Length of Curve: For variation in length I relied on multiple copies of a source curve, Transformed to different sizes preserving shape and aspect ratio.  Stroke width was set to the height of the nozzle .PNG.
      • Scaling the Bent curves with Transform seems to behave correctly; Stroke Width scales up and down with object size.
      • I'm not sure how to compare dragging a node versus Transform for these curves.
    5. Stroke Width: Varying stroke width to values smaller than the defined width of the brush generally seems to improve the appearance of the result - it looks more like the brush nozzle image.  The bounded range of the Stroke Width slider limits testing, so its hard to see what happens at Widths above 100px

Artboard 4

Someone I know told me that the best bugs are at the keyboard, so I decided to experiment with someone else’s brushes.  I played with some of AnnieW’s brushes (see threads 106307 and 106308 in this forum) using the same structure as above.

I used @AnnieW;s Zigzag Stacked 5 brush with the Stroke Width set to 200px to go with a set of straight curves measuring 500px, 1000px, 2000px and 4000px (set to these lengths using Transform).

1. Scale with Object:  ON consistently produces a better result than OFF which mangles the nozzle image, especially for the shorter curves.
  2. Cap:
    1. Straight Curves: Butt Cap is the only choice that produces a good result.  Round and Square Caps both essentially destroy the stroke (Sorry, AnnieW).
    2. Bent Curves: Round and Square caps improved, Butt Cap is still the best.
    3. Stroke Width: I varied Stroke Width to see if that affects Cap.  In my opinion, Width of 200px produces better results than 80px, even though that is the native size of the brush.
  3. Length of Curve
    1. Straight Curves: Behavior is the same as for the 128px brush.  Changing curve length by dragging a node does not change the stroke width to adapt, but if you use Transform to change curve lengths, stroke Width does adapt.
    2. Bent Curves:  With Transform the Stroke Width changes with increasing/decreasing Object size.
  4. Stroke Width: Varying stroke width to values smaller than the defined width of the brush generally seems to improve the appearance of the result - it looks more like the brush nozzle image.  The bounded range of the Stroke Width slider limits testing, so its hard to see what happens at Widths above 100px.

Conclusion

So, I learned some things and got a few surprises.

I think the questions that need answers are

1. Why does Scale with Object have any effect under these initial conditions?  I didn't trigger it by changing the size/length of the curves.
  2. Why does it matter how you change the length of a curve/Object size? (Transform vs drag node)
  3. Why do Round and Square Caps destroy these brush strokes?
  4. The shorted straight curve in Artboard 3 is long enough to fit 2 repeats, but you only get 1. Why?

Thanks in advance

I'm running the most current versions of AD on MacBook (Catalina) and iPad (latest)

Textured Intensity Brushes - Tests 01 Other Brushes No History.afdesign Textured Intensity - Aspect Ratio Test.afbrushes

To Conclusion: Q4. I imported your brushes, created a straight line 1024px and got 3 repeats 🤔 did the same thing and got 2 repeats as you would expect. 🧐

image.png.07bfc487e6b2c4ef29020a9394f6fb50.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I also edited the line length for the short curve on Artboard 3, I used the transform panel and changed it to 1090px and then back to 1024px this resulted in the image below.

image.png.68d0d146c877c721024fdbb0d26fde41.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
On 7/27/2020 at 9:24 PM, LionelD said:

Dear Serif, would you please take a look at this and report back on which behaviors are bugs, and which are blunders, please?

Regards

Sorry for the delayed response I have asked another member of staff to look into this I am just awaiting extra information from them now.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi LionelD,

I asked Matt our Designer tutorials guy to look into these questions with me.

The first ones a bit of a mystery to us - because you ca toggle scale with object on and off and it resets to show two different states. Whereas that doesn't seem to do the same thing with other default brushes so this might just be some sort of bug with that particular brush. But generally speaking Scale with object usually works really well for me and hasn't brought up any other issues in the past.

Matt had the following to say regarding your 2nd question.

So my understanding with the transform panel vs using the node tool to change the line is that the node tool is redrawing the line in a new place or extending it ‘officially’ but the transform panel is dragging it and resizing it, so that kind of makes sense that by extending the W in the transform panel you are technically effecting the overall characteristics of the shape, but using the node tool always seems to me more like you’re redrawing it. I guess thats hard for me to explain but personally I think if the stroke width increased by just dragging out the end with the node tool that wouldn't make as much sense to me from a workflow point of view etc, so it seems quite logical the way it currently works. 

With regards to your 3rd question

The end points or caps not looking correct on custom brushes is to be expected sometimes. The round cap option on a regular plain line is just adding an additional bit of vector shape at the end of the line so if you had a custom brush it just wouldn't know what to extend to.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Callum, thanks for your response.  I’d like to continue this discussion.  These comments describe behavior on my iPad after updating both Designer and Photo earlier today.

I’d just like to note that when I built the file I uploaded, I was aware that the behavior might have been a consequence of something I did in building my brushes.  That’s the reason I added the “Other Brushes” artboard.  

My question 1 - Scale with Object

On 7/31/2020 at 3:21 AM, Callum said:

The first ones a bit of a mystery to us - because you ca toggle scale with object on and off and it resets to show two different states.

So could this be a bug?

My question 2 - Transform vs drag node

Ok, I can see that it’s reasonable to take the view that Transform change object size, and drag node does not, it’s more a matter of making minor changes than changing scale.

My question 3 - Choice of Cap:

I’m not sure what you mean by “other default brushes”.  I understand that Round and Square Caps might get deformed.  What I was trying to point out is that the body of the stroke deforms severely in response to a change of Cap.  Furthermore, the deformation happens on the curves that are straight, but not on the ones that are curved - where you’d expect some deformation on the repeating section of the stroke.  I have no complaint about the cap itself, but feel I must point out that it’s very strange that Designer does a very good job handling different caps on the bent curves.

Is there a logical explanation for this?

My question 4 - Number of Repeats:

Any ideas?  

Regards