You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am very new to drawing and I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place.

I've looked at the vector pen tutorials for designer (on Mac). I'm working this this image (a vector drawing of a Mexican skull) and the image's lines have a variable width. I don't see that in any of the tutorials. I know I can create this a set of curves that I group. I just don't know if that's the best way. I'm assuming I'm doing things the 'hard way' because I don't know anything.. 

171262480_screen1.png.fd1ca9dbaf6bedc7af86b6b64c222855.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Hopkin Watson. :)

If you’re not using a pressure-sensitive input device you can use simulated pressure sensitivity. As explained in the linked Help topic, Affinity Designer allows you to create a custom pressure profile which can be applied to a previously drawn stroke.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Can I as you a followup?

In the example I posted, if you look at the small white circles that 'ring' the interior of the eyes; how would they be placed there? Could objects be placed along a path similarly to the way you can type text on a curve? I suppose the artist could have aligned them all manually or with the help of grid lines or something..

In the example I have added, the little circles are perfectly aligned (and symmetrical) on what I am assuming to be some type of technique vs manually positioning each object.

If there is a technique for this, do you know what it's called in Designer?

screen.png.b1c33abe5e6a35868eb48f68dd20e199.png

1 hour ago, Hopkin Watson said:

if you look at the small white circles that 'ring' the interior of the eyes; how would they be placed there?

There's a few ways to do this.  The easiest in this instance, in my opinion, is to use the dashed line stroke.  If you use the settings 0  1  0  0, it has a nice circle.  Stroke width controls the circle size.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

On 7/30/2020 at 9:33 AM, Hopkin Watson said:

I found another way to do this using brushes. Thought you might like to see:

It depends on if you need to keep the image purely vector or not.  If you zoom way in on the image painted by the brush you will see that the brush leaves a pixelated image.  Because it's being made from a png file which is a pixel file.  There is no right or wrong way depending upon the requirements you have or want.  Good luck on your skull.  It looks like fun.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra