You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

For the last 8 to 10 months, I have been tacking a lot of flower picture using both an iPhone 8 (12MP camera) and a Sony RX100 III (20 MP camera) mounted at the end of selfie sticks (I have MS and am confined to a wheelchair). I have little control of the photo image composition with the two cameras. I used Affinity Photo to process both the HEIC images from the iPhone 8 and the Sony RAW images (Sony ARW files) and to develop both *.afphoto and JPEG images of the flowers. My workflow is to generate the highest quality image as I can and to adjust the images quality/file size for different uses. For example, I gave prints of my flowers to family members last Christmas using the highest quality JPEG files I could generate. I use lower quality images for email etc. and inclusion in PowerPoint presentations.

I have been asked by several friends to prepare one or more PDF files showing some of my flower images. I now have over 150 processed flower images. I am using Affinity Publisher to prepare these PDF files to present selected flower images. I have found that the images need to be edited to accommodate the available size limits in the PDF file. I have also found it desirable to adjust colors and other properties to allow presentation of image combinations in a pleasing manner in Publisher. I often modify the image crop to better work in Publisher.

I have copies of all the images I could use in Publisher into set of folders that will be used for developing the Publisher PDF file. This will leave the originals images alone. All modifications for the PDF file will be done to the copied images.

My questions
1 - What is the best way for me to use these images?
2 - Should I import *.afphoto images or jpeg images into Publisher?
3 - What resolution should I use?
4 - How do I edit an image in Photo and have an updated image in Publisher?
5 - Is the updating in Publisher automatic or must I edit the *.afphoto file and replace the image in Publisher?

I am a novice at this, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have included a Photo image as an example of my flower images.

White_flower_w_3_types_of_pedels_v2_DSC00547.afphoto

10 hours ago, 1earJim said:

1 - What is the best way for me to use these images?

Not sure how to answer this question?

2 - Should I import *.afphoto images or jpeg images into Publisher?

Affinity Publisher has the ability to link to files instead of embedding them: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/affinity-publisher-to-embed-or-to-link-files/

3 - What resolution should I use?

If the PDF is for screen display I probably wouldn’t go above 150DPI, for printing 300DPI should be sufficient.

4 - How do I edit an image in Photo and have an updated image in Publisher?

You can use Studiolink which allows editing while still in Affinity Publisher or you can use File > Edit in Photo… which will open Affinity Photo to allow editing and then File > Edit in Publisher. Both methods update immediately

5 - Is the updating in Publisher automatic or must I edit the *.afphoto file and replace the image in Publisher?

See Q4.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions