You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.8.4.4)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Download

Auto-update: Not available

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of Affinity Designer Beta 1.8.4.4 for macOS.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is an incremental update to the 1.8.3 version currently available in the store to all customers (though it installs parallel to the release). We recommend that you use this beta in preference to the store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

Many thanks!

Matt

Changes Since 1.8.4.3

- Fix for undesirable shapes being created when dragging the start/end nodes of a shape on top of each other to close the shape. (hi @abn5x!!!)
- macOS Big Sur operation and visual style improvements.
- Improved margin and bleed presets for documents.

Changes Since 1.8.3

- Fix for incorrect rendering of grids in OpenGL past certain zoom levels.
- Fix for poor functioning of 'Force Touch' trackpads in pressure-sensitive tools.
- Speculative fix for occasional lockups in Pencil Tool.
- Added option in preferences to re-enable the old behaviour for deleting objects (we used to previously favour empty selections).
- Added ability to show folders as icons in the layers panel.
- Added option to always show folders as “small” in the layers panel.
- Improved dragging behaviour in the layers panel (make it easier to drag child items around within their container without affecting parenting).
- PDF import performance improvements.
- Document save performance improvements.
- Text performance improvements.
- Assorted small bug fixes.
- Fix for 'Expand Strokes' failing to consider 'velocity' as a width controller.
- Fix for focus issues when tabbing between text entry fields in the Colour panel with Text objects selected.
- Fix for operation of Command+Right-Click on an object to show the tree hierarchy of the selected node.
- Allow certain documents created on Windows to open correctly (if the document contained a saved reference to exporting as Windows GDI formats).
- Help improvements.
- Localisation improvements.

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this beta notification thread 
To be notified when this update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Affinity Designer customers, please follow this release notification thread

1 hour ago, jblakeharris said:

Is anyone else on Big Sur experiencing issues with the buttons in the titlebar? They aren't responsive for  me.

I can confirm that.

Publisher is also affected.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

6 hours ago, MattP said:

- Improved margin and bleed presets for documents.

I don't see any changes or improvements in margin and bleed facilitation.
In addition, there is still an unrepaired event: if you have set and visible bleed, and you drag the element from the resources to the bleed - then the visibility of the element on the bleed disappears, you need to enter the menu and turn off the visibility of the bleed, then turn on the visibility of the bleed and then the object on the bleed will be visible, but then you can re-drag another object from the resource and you will get an error again. And there is also an unrepaired bug since we have set bleed in the document and transform it into Artboard - then objects overlapping bleed are invisible.
For this reason, even though I have had Affinity Designer for 4 years, I do not use it at all, I work at Publisher on a daily basis, and I install Affinity Beta only to check if any corrections have been made.
I just hope that at least 5.0 will fix it.
If Serif Money is missing, please provide your account number, I'll be happy to pay for these changes.

5 hours ago, jblakeharris said:

Is anyone else on Big Sur experiencing issues with the buttons in the titlebar? They aren't responsive for  me.

I discovered this for a while, but, if you point the mousepointer deep down on the icon it will respond...

I wonder why Studio Link would'nt work, but, this was the "error"... Pushing the icon almost outside downward was the solution...

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

• Staff

Sorry about this Big Sur issue everyone - we thought it was all working great, but when compiled with Xcode 11 it still shows the problem (the fix was tested on Big Sur, with an Affinity build compiled with Xcode 12, which has support for Big Sur but is still in Beta). We are working on a Xcode 11 compatible fix and will hopefully update very soon with this :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.