You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why no "Zoom Blur" live filter?

I like to do as much as possible non-destructively, so I was surprised to learn there was no live filter for Zoom Blur. That forced me to merge everything to a new pixel layer and then apply the Zoom Blur from the Filters menu. I was just curious if there was a technical reason it was omitted or if it's just an oversight.

Also, as I recall, this effect is referred to as Radial Blur in Photoshop, so when I discovered that Radial Blur in Affinity Photo was not what I wanted, I almost gave up, thinking Affinity Photo didn't have this feature.

FWIW, "Radial Blur" seems a more apt description of the effect, whereas what Affinity Photo calls "Radial Blur" would IMHO be more aptly named "Circular Blur".

For me both Radial Blur and Zoom Blur perfectly describe what the filters are doing. Would be nice of course to also have a non-destructive version of Zoom Blur.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

On 7/21/2020 at 8:21 PM, Shotster said:

I like to do as much as possible non-destructively, so I was surprised to learn there was no live filter for Zoom Blur. That forced me to merge everything to a new pixel layer and then apply the Zoom Blur from the Filters menu. I was just curious if there was a technical reason it was omitted or if it's just an oversight.

Also, as I recall, this effect is referred to as Radial Blur in Photoshop, so when I discovered that Radial Blur in Affinity Photo was not what I wanted, I almost gave up, thinking Affinity Photo didn't have this feature.

FWIW, "Radial Blur" seems a more apt description of the effect, whereas what Affinity Photo calls "Radial Blur" would IMHO be more aptly named "Circular Blur".

Also missing mesh deformation Live filters.

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

• 2 years later...