You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Automatic Sky replacement a la Luminar?

Hi,

I have a feature request. Would it be possible to add an automatic (possibly AI driven) sky replacement a la Luminar in one of the next releases?
Sky replacement is perhaps one of the most popular things to do in photo editing software.

I am aware that this can be done in AP and I do it regularly, but a built in almost one touch button functionality would be really a big timesaver.

Thanks,

Fran

• 2 months later...

Agree with sky replacement and complete rebuild of selection functionality AP software.  Seldom does it select, without the need of Mask to correct.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

• 2 weeks later...

Ai does not really work well yet,  it takes preconceived scenarios and tries to make your picture fit the scenario.  It takes away your vision and creativity and if you look at Luminar's  version, it does not always (often) give you good results. .   It may be ok for beginners but its not at the state yet where I would feel comfortable with it.So much for my view, other folks might have different ideas, but I want me to be in charge of creativity....

• 5 weeks later...

Dear Serif/Affinity team,

I would like to ask yet again if there are plans to add a similar sky replacement feature in Affinity Photo 2.0.

I do own all three Affinity apps for PC, but have just tried Luminar. They have few great features and I am thinking of buying it.
It would compliment Affinity Photo which I love.

While, as the user in the last post mentioned, AI does not always work, it is great when it works, and it does work very often.

In photography I prefer to keep things as original as possible, but, I am creating primarely advertising media, and there the goal is not to have an image exactly as it was taken, but exactly in the way it complements the product best.
Now, if I can speed up some tasks with AI, it saves me time which either increases my profit, reduces the clients bill or allows me to focus on other more important tasks.
So, the goal is not to have AI dominate the workflow, but much more have it compliment the workflow.

Still, here is the question, if Affinity Photo gets a similar feature in its Release 2.0, it would be a waste of money to buy Luminar AI now. I much rather spent the money than on a Affinity Photo upgrade.
Therefore I'd appreciate a comment from the team if this may/will happen.

Thanks,

Franzi

On 11/13/2020 at 4:33 PM, Franzi von Fragenfeld said:

Dear Serif/Affinity team,

IStill, here is the question, if Affinity Photo gets a similar feature in its Release 2.0, it would be a waste of money to buy Luminar AI now. I much rather spent the money than on a Affinity Photo upgrade.
Therefore I'd appreciate a comment from the team if this may/will happen.

Thanks,

Franzi

Serif's practice has been to not comment on feature requests. They do read them, but refrain from commenting. Also coming from years as a beta tester for another (competitor to Serif) program where we were bound to Non Disclosure Agreement. If the next upgrade would include such a feature, we were forbidden in disclosing that. Why? Because it would cost them in sales, even if we knew the very next week or day the upgrade was to be released. Just from what I've seen from Serif, the best they would do is mention the feature has been requested, and the Devs might consider it in the future.

If another app would help you with your work, it makes sense to purchase it. These are tools for the pros, like yourself, and most pros will just get the tools that work for them, and not try to convince some other manufacturer to adopt another apps features to suit them. Your underlying reasoning, $$$$. Who knows for Serif to ad the AI technology to their apps, may force them to increase their prices to the extent of very little difference. If Serif would ad AI, and doing so they would need to increase the price of Affinity Photo to $150.00 would you still purchase Affinity Photo?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

you can do a lot with LUTs which Affinity already has.  You can even infer LUTs.. which is great... I wonder if you tried that yet.  works great on skies and even when you replace them, ( you still need to adjust them due to brightness contrast and color.)

On that note I very very  seldom do sky replacements most professional and serious photographers that I know would not do that. . But I do have some LUTs that I apply.

here is a good description of why sky replacement is not  done by most professional photographers.  this is in addition two what I said above. I look at sky replacement as a crutch  it takes away from the experience of a magical moment that really happened.  

Rather than pine for one-touch sky replacement, I would enjoy the implementation of Sky Selection. I don’t necessarily want software that does all the work for me, and robs me of creativity and opportunities for learning in the process. However, there are so many times when a good sky selection is ideal for adjustments, gradients, and masking. And sky selection is one of those tasks that can be labor intensive and, often, less than perfect.

I’ll take all the help I can get - but only up to a point, I guess.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

@hanshab
While this all holds totally true for a photographer its a different issue if you work for concept art and advertising.
In this case we rarely care about the original photo situation. Its not important, what is important in this case is that it looks cool and with a different sky or other content it might fit much better to the campaign or product to be complemented by it.
So if we can swap things fast and get the needed result fast, thats what pays our bills.

@Ron P.
Thanks for the info. Why should adding AI make AP so much more expensive? Luminar is in about the same price range.
So, if AP would add it, it would be the better of two options at about close to the same price.

As they are both not hugely expensive, I did in the end decide to get Luminar as well now....

• 1 month later...