You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

a strange bright cross is appearing

srg

Cannot say since when but recently I am starting to see a little bright cross in the same position that seems perfectly in the center of the frame.

I do not know if it is the camera, or AP. may be you can.

746801288_ScreenShot2020-07-20at8_59_03PM.png.d208b09fcf98598e4aa1fda93bc0687b.png and 544114230_ScreenShot2020-07-20at9_00_22PM.png.062f045f5905cf41c07e3c7129387cd8.png

• Staff

Hey srg,

No idea what that is. It's more than likely from the camera to be honest. I've never seen that in Affinity before. Do you have a sample image I can try?

I copied the image and opened it in AP and zoomed in and it could be a bunch of hot pixels. The area affected looks like 8 x 8 and is probably the worse case I've seen. We could really do with a sample :) 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey srg,

No idea what that is. It's more than likely from the camera to be honest. I've never seen that in Affinity before. Do you have a sample image I can try?

I copied the image and opened it in AP and zoomed in and it could be a bunch of hot pixels. The area affected looks like 8 x 8 and is probably the worse case I've seen. We could really do with a sample :) 

I can uploaded with a dropbox and image in DNG, I usually clone that cross out.

But could you explain what hot pixels are? An are the camera fault? thank you

• Staff

It can happen when the sensor gets warm and isn't normally nothing to worry about. I believe our Noise Correction usually removes them. Can you check the Develop Assistant to see if Noise Correction is on or off?

I've made a folder for you - https://www.dropbox.com/request/2lGvPBMSeMBnoIfKMRpq

6 minutes ago, Chris B said:

It can happen when the sensor gets warm and isn't normally nothing to worry about. I believe our Noise Correction usually removes them. Can you check the Develop Assistant to see if Noise Correction is on or off?

I've made a folder for you - https://www.dropbox.com/request/2lGvPBMSeMBnoIfKMRpq

Hi I uploaded one raw image. The develop assistant is set to apply color reduction I guess the default since I never changed that.Is that OK?

• Staff

I was wrong—Colour Reduction will not affect it. Apologies.

We've found them present in both Apple Core and Serif Labs. Apple Core has quite a few but Serif Labs only has a couple (that I can see).

I think this is the sensor acting up. It's probably getting too hot but I do not think this is an isue with Affinity, unless we should be remapping these pixels which we clearly are not in this case. 

• Staff

Hi @srg, your Pentax camera is actually exhibiting quite a few hot pixels, most of which are automatically remapped by Affinity Photo. I'm guessing it's the 30 second long exposure which is causing the sensor to heat up and exhibit these hot pixels.

The offending area near the middle of the image doesn't get remapped however because it's actually two hot pixels next to each other of differing intensities:

hot pixels row.png

Because of this, the pixel arrangement could potentially be genuine useful information within the image, so Photo doesn't remap it.

Hopefully this issue wouldn't show up with most images, just those shot with a long exposure. Some cameras will remap pixels at the bayer level as they're written to the memory card (the Sony E-series cameras do this I believe), and some don't. Sony cameras get a bit of flack for this from astrophotographers—they've been nicknamed "star eaters"!

Unfortunately I think the only course of action for you is to quickly inpaint out the hot pixels once you've developed the image—alternatively, you can use the Blemish Removal Tool in the Develop Persona and just single-click over the hot pixel area.

Hope that helps!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thank you so much. Thinking backward i am pretty sure that that cross and may be others i may have missed show only when i do long exposures. Which I do with my light painting photos. And yes I clone them out. Sorry to have posted in the bug section but i was not sure if it was the camera.

thank you very much.

PA: i love those videos and beautiful voice!