You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make "resize around the center" the default behavior?

When scaling an object in Affinity Designer, I know that I can hold down CMD to make the object scale outward in all directions from the center point, rather than from the top left corner. That works fine for me - but I'm wondering if it's possible to change a setting somewhere that would make that the default behavior without holding any keys? (Holding CMD would then presumably have the reverse effect, making the object scale from the corner.)

I'm using Affinity for a specific task that involves scaling objects hundreds of times a day, and they ALWAYS need to remain centered, so it would be nice to eliminate the need to hit CMD so much. Not a huge deal either way, though.

Thanks!

You could experiment with enabling Sticky Keys under Accessibility in System Preferences to make the modifier keys act as toggles rather than needing to hold them down.

I don't think you would want to leave it that way by any means, but you can set up a shortcut to toggle that feature on and off so that it could be used while doing that critical section of your work?

So long as its a user-defined preference.

11 hours ago, whd said:

I'm using Affinity for a specific task that involves scaling objects hundreds of times a day, and they ALWAYS need to remain centered, so it would be nice to eliminate the need to hit CMD so much. Not a huge deal either way, though.

Thanks!

That's the problem: You're speaking of a specific task. I have no problem with your suggestion if implemented as a user-specified preference setting (although that raises the whole larger issue of Affinity's need for a seriously better preference interface.)

Even then, you'd need to elaborate. For example, what do you consider the 'center' of an equilateral triangle? For most purposes, it's certainly not the center of its bounding box (which raises what I consider one of the most fundamental problems with Affinity: its insistence upon on-page transformations being based on infernal bounding boxes.)

JET

Yes, I'm just trying to find out if there's a way to adjust this in my personal settings - not saying it should be a change in the software. (I thought I originally posted in Questions, but it looks like this post is showing in Feature Requests & Suggestions instead. Not sure if I made a mistake or it got moved by a mod?)

Based on these replies, I'm assuming the answer is no. But if someone sees this post who knows otherwise, please let me know! I've used (and loved) Affinity for years, but I'm sure there are still plenty of little things I don't know.