You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've noticed that I am getting 100% CPU usage on seemingly basic tasks in Affinity Photo. Take this as an example (screenshot below with task manager open - notice the spike in CPU which is when I click and hold on the mid point of the gradient to adjust it).

(1) Create a new document that is: A4 size, 300dpi, 16-bit RGB

(2) Create a single pixel layer

(3) Use the linear gradient tool to draw a gradient on the document that goes from white to any other colour

(4) drag the handle that controls the mid-point of the gradient

While holding down the mouse button and dragging the mid-point slowly from one end to the other, my CPU shoots up to 100% of all 16 cores, and case fans ramp up to full speed (which is pretty loud, and what caused me to notice the 'issue' - other programs rarely use all the CPU to 100%, and certainly not all 16 cores)

I'm confused why this is happening, is it normal? Does anyone else get this? I already have GPU acceleration enabled so not sure why such a seemingly basic task is getting put on to the CPU and hogging all of the CPU?

My PC specs are:

• Windows 10 64-bit
  • Intel i9-9900k (8 cores, 16 threads)
  • 64Gb DDR4 3200MHz ram
  • nVidia RTX 2080 ti (11GB VRAM)
  • Samsung 970 1GB m.2 nVME (Windows and Affinity Photo installed on here)
  • Seagate Barracuda 2TB SSD (Used to save documents and photos)

AffinityPhotoCPUUsage.thumb.jpg.1a075a44d22734100bf5be7a59130fda.jpg

• Staff

Hi Rob123456789,

Not something i can replicate here on our Windows test machine, which isn't as powerful as your PC and the CPU isn't going above 40%.  

Can you post a screenshot of what you have set in Preferences>Performance

Might also be worth having a read of this post as that may help.

Have you run a malware scan of any sort, it can be useful to eliminate this as a possible cause first.

Check which process is using the most CPU, is it Affinity Photo?

A few steps to take are listed on this post, might hone it down a little to troubleshoot: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/computing/why-is-my-cpu-running-at-100-710254 (Ignore the Driver Easy ad’s)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I see the same thing as the OP

Also, I see the same 100% CPU usage when I do something like a gaussian blur on the entire image and continually move the slider.

Not a problem for me... when I tell my PC to do something, I want it done at the maximum speed possible so then seeing my CPU at 100% is what I want.

In fact, I would be more concerned if something (CPU intensive) was taking a long time and not using 100% CPU to do what I asked it to do.

11 hours ago, Rob123456789 said:

I already have GPU acceleration enabled

Affinity apps on Windows don't use any GPU acceleration at the moment. The GPU is only used to render stuff to the screen. All complex GPU processing is currently done by the CPU

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi Rob123456789,

Not something i can replicate here on our Windows test machine, which isn't as powerful as your PC and the CPU isn't going above 40%.  

Hello here is the screenshot of preferences.

image.png.5b161e444ac6c1a7be44ae3d263582b3.png

...and here is a screenshot showing Task Manager which shows it's Affinity Photo taking over 97% of the CPU, and 'high power usage'.

I have the most up-to-date drivers for my GPU, and Windows Update says it's up-to-date (no updates available).

Malwarebytes didn't find anything, and neither did Windows Defender. It's definitely Affinity Photo as this screenshot shows - and as soon as I stop dragging the gradient mid point and let go of the mouse the CPU usage drops to less than 3%. Then if I drag it again the CPU spikes to 100%. Even My browser with 14 tabs open in the background is only using 0.3%.

image.thumb.png.8e0b096b3affd4655fef31a301ebf1de.png

13 hours ago, stokerg said:

Hi Rob123456789,

I tried some of the suggestions on the link, unfortunately they did not help, the CPU still jumps to 100% usage regardless of:

* Setting Ram usage to max, or lower than half (32 gb) - no difference in performance

* Setting the display to "WARP" performance was worse.

*Changing view quality down to Nearest Neighbour - no difference in performance

My i5-4440 uses 80% CPU, 80% GPU just moving the Rectangle Tool on the Document (1920x1080) with not GRID on a tool selected, empty project really nothing to do.
When doing the gradient the CPU 100%, 80% GPU.

On Illustrator is max 60% CPU, 80% GPU with grid on CPU 95%/ GPU 100% and is slow, big delay / Gradient 75% CPU, 80% GPU and with GRID on not affecting much CPU 85%, GPU 99%, 100% with not lag

Not sure why is the Performance that with even i5 and Integrated Intel HD 4600. But in your case is really weird. But should work more in performance.