You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP add pages from file as resource

When importing larges files like pdf files I need the possibility to update them when the pdf file changes/updates.

But when I use the "Add pages from file" it just embeds them?

Why isn't it possible to import a second or third page as a resource from a PDF in AP?

Cheers,

Peter

• Staff

Hi @Sephen,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Firstly make sure your Placement Policy is set to Linked and not Embedded, this can be found in Document Setup, as shown below -

0a37f4583aa43a56c1ccef14892f721f.gif

Now, go to File>Place and select your PDF document. This will place a 'frame' for the PDF document within your master document. With this 'frame' selected, the Context Toolbar will show you page and view options, so you can decide which page you want to display etc.

This will be a live linked document, so if you make changes to this PDF and update it externally, Publisher will inform you a later version is available and allow you to update the resource in the Resource Manager dialog. 

I hope this helps! :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I am not sure if Peter is talking here about "large" as big file size or "large" as having many pages. For the last one it is hard work to place e.g. 20 pages one by one and always selecting which page to show.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I mean large as in many pages. Because the book feature (like inDesign Book) isn't implemented yet I need a method to export and control many large files. I need to import pdf files as a resource which can be updated when they change. When adding pages from files they become embedded instead of being a resource, this means I have to make a new file and again import over 45 separate pdf files.

Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 12.48.11.png

1 hour ago, Sephen said:

this means I have to make a new file and again import over 45 separate pdf files

You won't have to import 45 separate files, but right now you can place a PDF with 45 pages, but you have to do this 45 times and 45 times select the correct page. Which is also time consuming. You can also set up a document with 45 pages and "Default master", place the 45-pages-PDF on the Master Page and for every single document page detach the PDF and select a different page. Anyway, also this is time consuming. So I am also hoping for placing multipages more easily.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Another way: Place a PDF, Duplicate the page, select the two pages and duplicate them, select the four pages and duplicate them. Then for every page, select the page to be displayed. So far the fastest method I found, but in the end still a workaround. :(

------

• Staff
22 minutes ago, Sephen said:

To bad Publisher still lacks the book feature like inDesign.

Unfortunately such a feature doesn't exist currently, so Joachim's provided workarounds are most likely the best options for you.

We do hope to implement such a feature in the future, however we have no timescale for this currently - apologies!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

8 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately such a feature doesn't exist currently, so Joachim's provided workarounds are most likely the best options for you.

We do hope to implement such a feature in the future, however we have no timescale for this currently - apologies!

Ok...

Until then is it possible to implement the possibility to add more than one page at once (a selection of pages) when using "Add page from file"? Or import them as resources instead of embedding them?

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Sephen said:

Until then is it possible to implement the possibility to add more than one page at once (a selection of pages) when using "Add page from file"?

Apologies, I'm not sure what you're asking for here - when using the 'Add Pages from File' option you should see the below dialog, that allows you to select which pages are imported:

image.png