You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer>Merge Down=15 seconds to complete its task.

Normally the Layer>Merge Down function works very quickly with new documents but I find that it slows down when working with a document that has had

a lot of work done to it  including adding layers, digital  painting, adjustment filters, File> placement of images, etc.

I generally work in this resolution of 16" x20" @300 dpi.

In my workflow, I add new layers to the project as I develop the image.  I can get up to 20+ layers before AP gets bogged down and doesn't respond as quickly as I would like.

At this point  the Layer>Merge Down function takes about ~15 seconds to complete its task .

So, I collapse all the layers to one layer using the Layers panel>merge visible function.

At this point I have two choices:

I can delete all the existing  layers except the newly created merged visible layer , save it out as

a new file new and continue working with a smaller, more AP friendly file size.

or  copy this  newly created  merged visible  layer to the clip board and transfer it to a new document.

In both cases, I now  have only one newly merged layer to work with .

In both cases, I add a second layer  and digitally paint on the second layer.

In both cases, the  Layer>Merge Down function takes at least 15 seconds to collapse a layer, which goes against logic.

In an attempt to remedy the situation  I have tried the following:

1. Applied every available option in the preferences> display options... ie.. metal , openGL etc.

2 Restarted AP several times  holding down the control key and clearing user defaults., reset studio etc.

But it still takes ~15 seconds for the Layer>Merge Down function to work  with both newly created documents  even having  only two layers!

It's like some memory from the initial 20+ layer document  is  being transferred and showing up in these newly created documents.

When I create a completely new 16" x20" @ 300 Dpi file and add 10+ layers each having digital paint applied the   Layer>Merge Down function

works very fast and the way it was intended to perform.

Thanks in advance for your help in this.

I am running AP 1.8.3 on a 2019 iMac with lots of ram.

Looks like no tech support is going to touch this one.

Well  I am getting the same delay in Layer> Merge Down with a completely new file.

Same thing, I am in the process of creating  this new image and have added 20 layers over time and now attempting to   Layer>Merge Down function and AP freezes completely... have to kill the app.   

So  I  reduced the layer count to ~ five layers and still the Layer>Merge Down function takes forever to complete itself 

It's obvious to me that I am reaching the upper limits of AP's layering /filters capacity.... too bad....

Any Comments from Serif Tech support would be nice.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_12_33.44_PM.thumb.png.3efcfe2e9d31653c1ad25d047a98d8b2.png

Edited by Gregory-CJ
uploading image

Hi Meb,

I have uploaded the afphoto file to you via the dropbox link. This file went through the transformations that I outlined at the top of this thread.

After deleting  all the layers except two... and applying  the  Layer>Merge Down function, it  still takes at least 15-30 seconds to merge.

Try this  with the file I uploaded to you, ....select the top layer and move it around and then  the Layer>Merge Down function.

For me this merge function still takes too much time.

Thanks for your help on this matter.

• Staff

Hi Gregory-CJ,
Although the visible elements (layers) are relatively small, they seem to be coming/copied from a much larger image - if you select one of the layers, go to the channels panel and fill the respective layer alpha channel or alternatively create a greyscale layer from it, you will see how large the original image was (30412x38435 px). When you merge these layers down, the whole original image resolution is being processed as such it takes a while until it outputs the result of the Merge Down operation. If you right-click each layer and select Rasterise & Trim (to trim the alpha to the canvas size) the Merge Down process will be considerably faster.

Brilliant !!!!!!   Thanks  Meb for your knowledge . The rasterize & trim function works wonderfully and the Layer>Merge Down works quickly.

Question, though. With the file in question and selecting a layer and in the channels panel > either filling the alpha channel or creating a  greyscale layer, where would I find the original file size indicated? (30412x38435 px)

I  noticed in the context tool bar with the move tool selected that the existing layer > 397 x 425 dpi  and when rasterized & trim > 300 dpi. Is that it or  is there another location for this original file size?

Don't understand what the 397 x 425 dpi tells me... can you explain?

Thanks Again!

rasterize-trim.thumb.png.01146da40207983aa3aa0bfcf6fd25a1.png

• Staff

Hi Gregory-CJ,
After filling the layer, if you have the Move Tool selected you should see the layer bounding box expanded on canvas (zoom out if you can't see it), go to the Transform panel and it will show the layer's dimensions. After creating the Greyscale layer, go to the Layers panel, select it and check the dimensions in the Transform panel.
If there's two dpi values (X, Y resolution) it means the image was stretched either horizontally, vertically or both without keeping the ratio as such they are no longer the same.