Jump to content
Mostakim

How to change brush size using keyboard shortcut

Recommended Posts

Yes, use the square brackets keys.

On Mac and possibly on windows, you can also resize the brush by holding down the Ctrl and Option keys then moving the mouse left or right.

1386911718_ScreenShot2020-07-20at19_20_00.png.97483d11158095f2131fc2d2dc97e224.png

From the help page: https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_Brush.html

 


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry but your quotation is a bit wrong according to the link you've shared. The link says that in order to decrease or increase the brush size first you need to press and hold alt key then first press and hold the right and then press and hold the left key and then just drag right or left to increase or decrease -_-
 

But thank you very much . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MacOS : Ctrl+Option+↑↓←→Drag your pen.
Windows : Ctrl+Alt+↑↓←→Drag your pen.


The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

Windows : Ctrl+Alt+↑↓←→Drag your pen.

This is not correct. Ctrl on Windows is Command () on a Mac, so for Ctrl on a Mac you need to use the right and left mouse buttons as the OP has described:

1 hour ago, Mostakim said:

press and hold alt key then first press and hold the right and then press and hold the left key and then just drag right or left to increase or decrease

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mostakim said:

I'm sorry but your quotation is a bit wrong according to the link you've shared. The link says that in order to decrease or increase the brush size first you need to press and hold alt key then first press and hold the right and then press and hold the left key and then just drag right or left to increase or decrease -_-
 

But thank you very much . 

Option is also Alt on Mac, sometimes quoted as “option/alt"

341052879_Mackeyboard.png.df5667470fa8be84b507d42483934d27.png

 


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh i'm sorry.My bad. I actually never used a mac therefore I didn't know about the icon for the option key. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mostakim said:

Oh i'm sorry.My bad. I actually never used a mac therefore I didn't know about the icon for the option key. 

Not a problem, I’ll explain it better next time  🙂


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alfred said:

This is not correct. Ctrl on Windows is Command () on a Mac, so for Ctrl on a Mac you need to use the right and left mouse buttons as the OP has described:

 

(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)

(win)Alt=Option(mac)

WinKey(start)=Command(⌘)

No need to right click.(Ctrl+Alt in mac and win os)


The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

WinKey(start)=Command(⌘)

I don’t know if that works elsewhere, but it certainly doesn’t work in the Affinity apps and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I don’t know if that works elsewhere, but it certainly doesn’t work in the Affinity apps and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

 

I am only talking about keyboards. Don't get me wrong.


The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

I am only talking about keyboards. Don't get me wrong.

I am also only talking about keyboards, and so was Mark. I don’t know why you thought anything else.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I am also only talking about keyboards, and so was Mark. I don’t know why you thought anything else.

When you have 3 items:
1 Apple computer.
2 Microsoft computer. 
3 A usb keyboard.

When you connect the usb keyboard to two computers in turn:
(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)
(win)Alt=Option(mac)
WinKey(start)=Command(⌘)


The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

WinKey(start)=Command(⌘)

That might work for you and others with CLaunch, but it doesn’t work for the rest of us!

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That might work for you and others with CLaunch, but it doesn’t work for the rest of us!

 

This has nothing to do with CLaunch.
This has nothing to do with affinity.
It works on my American keyboard.(MacOS Windows)


The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

This has nothing to do with CLaunch.
This has nothing to do with affinity.
It works on my American keyboard.(MacOS Windows)

Just to be clear, are you saying that your (American) USB keyboard allows you to use the Windows key to work like the Command key on a Mac, so you don’t have to do the horrible RMB+LMB thing that most of us have to do? And if that is indeed what you’re saying, can you confirm that you can still use standard WinKey combinations to do things like opening Explorer windows?


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Just to be clear, are you saying that your (American) USB keyboard allows you to use the Windows key to work like the Command key on a Mac, so you don’t have to do the horrible RMB+LMB thing that most of us have to do? And if that is indeed what you’re saying, can you confirm that you can still use standard WinKey combinations to do things like opening Explorer windows?

Just to be clear, are you saying that your (American) USB keyboard allows you to use the Windows key to work like the Command key on a Mac, so you don’t have to do the horrible RMB+LMB thing that most of us have to do?
No!No!No! That was not what I meant.

I mean:
Use this keyboard:
When I'm in Windows OS, I press WinKey (it's actually Command(⌘).
When I'm in MacOS, I press Command(⌘) (it's actually WinKey)

Command(⌘) and WinKey share the same physical button (Command(⌘)&WinKey)
This is what I mean. I only mean this.


The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aftemplate said:

Command(⌘) and WinKey share the same physical button (Command(⌘)&WinKey)
This is what I mean. I only mean this.

Thank you for confirming that this has nothing to do with the Ctrl key on either Mac or Windows! The present discussion started because you had posted the following:

7 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

MacOS : Ctrl+Option+↑↓←→Drag your pen.
Windows : Ctrl+Alt+↑↓←→Drag your pen.

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Alfred said:

Thank you for confirming that this has nothing to do with the Ctrl key on either Mac or Windows! The present discussion started because you had posted the following:

 

(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)
Ctrl+Option=Control+Option

Ctrl&Control (They are located on the same physical button.) @R C-R  
So this is no error.


The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)

No. In general, for Affinity, Ctrl on Windows is Cmd on Mac. Yes, Mac has a Ctrl key, but it's used for different purposes than Ctrl is used on Windows.


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.734 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.5.703 and 1.9.0.742 Beta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)

Ctrl+Option=Control+Option

They are located on the same physical button.(Ctrl&Control)
So this is no error.

Ctrl on Windows is not the same as Control on a Mac, regardless of how any particular keyboard has its keys configured. Hence the need for an awkward mouse button combination on Windows.

We appear to be going around in circles, so I don’t see any point in making further posts to this thread.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No. In general, for Affinity, Ctrl on Windows is Cmd on Mac. Yes, Mac has a Ctrl key, but it's used for different purposes than Ctrl is used on Windows.

 

11 hours ago, Alfred said:

Ctrl on Windows is not the same as Control on a Mac, regardless of how any particular keyboard has its keys configured. Hence the need for an awkward mouse button combination on Windows.

We appear to be going around in circles, so I don’t see any point in making further posts to this thread.

I am only stating:
(Windows)Ctrl=Control(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)Alt=Option(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)WinKey(start menu)=Command⌘(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)Shift=Shift(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(This is related to the macos key mapping between windows.)

And you are talking about: shortcut keys for affinity. (I'm not talking about affinity shortcut keys.)


The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

I am only stating: they are located on the same physical button. (This is related to the key mapping between windows and macos)

What USB (or other) keyboard maps both key functions to the same physical key? Consider for example that on Macs the control key & the command keys can be used individually or in combination. How could that possibly work if both key functions are mapped to the same physical key???


Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

What USB (or other) keyboard maps both key functions to the same physical key? Consider for example that on Macs the control key & the command keys can be used individually or in combination. How could that possibly work if both key functions are mapped to the same physical key???

(Windows)Ctrl=Control(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)Alt=Option(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)WinKey(start menu)=Command⌘(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)Shift=Shift(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(I'm not talking about affinity shortcut keys.)
(I am only stating : This is related to the macos key mapping between windows.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202676
If this does not make you understand it, then I can do nothing.

@Alfred  @walt.farrell  


The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

Nowhere in that article does it say that the Windows key & the Control key are mapped to the same physical key.


Affinity Photo 1.8.4, Affinity Designer 1.8.4, Affinity Publisher 1.8.4;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 40GB RAM; macOS 10.15.6
Affinity Photo 
1.8.4.186 & Affinity Designer 1.8.4.4 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.3.1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.