You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to change brush size using keyboard shortcut

Yes, use the square brackets keys.

On Mac and possibly on windows, you can also resize the brush by holding down the Ctrl and Option keys then moving the mouse left or right.

1386911718_ScreenShot2020-07-20at19_20_00.png.97483d11158095f2131fc2d2dc97e224.png

From the help page: https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_Brush.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm sorry but your quotation is a bit wrong according to the link you've shared. The link says that in order to decrease or increase the brush size first you need to press and hold alt key then first press and hold the right and then press and hold the left key and then just drag right or left to increase or decrease -_-

But thank you very much . 

24 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

Windows : Ctrl+Alt+↑↓←→Drag your pen.

This is not correct. Ctrl on Windows is Command () on a Mac, so for Ctrl on a Mac you need to use the right and left mouse buttons as the OP has described:

1 hour ago, Mostakim said:

press and hold alt key then first press and hold the right and then press and hold the left key and then just drag right or left to increase or decrease

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Mostakim said:

I'm sorry but your quotation is a bit wrong according to the link you've shared. The link says that in order to decrease or increase the brush size first you need to press and hold alt key then first press and hold the right and then press and hold the left key and then just drag right or left to increase or decrease -_-

But thank you very much . 

Option is also Alt on Mac, sometimes quoted as “option/alt"

341052879_Mackeyboard.png.df5667470fa8be84b507d42483934d27.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, Mostakim said:

Oh i'm sorry.My bad. I actually never used a mac therefore I didn't know about the icon for the option key. 

Not a problem, I’ll explain it better next time  🙂

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

This is not correct. Ctrl on Windows is Command () on a Mac, so for Ctrl on a Mac you need to use the right and left mouse buttons as the OP has described:

(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)

(win)Alt=Option(mac)

WinKey(start)=Command(⌘)

No need to right click.(Ctrl+Alt in mac and win os)

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

2 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

WinKey(start)=Command(⌘)

I don’t know if that works elsewhere, but it certainly doesn’t work in the Affinity apps and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I don’t know if that works elsewhere, but it certainly doesn’t work in the Affinity apps and I don’t see that changing any time soon.

I am only talking about keyboards. Don't get me wrong.

35 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

I am only talking about keyboards. Don't get me wrong.

I am also only talking about keyboards, and so was Mark. I don’t know why you thought anything else.

Alfred spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I am also only talking about keyboards, and so was Mark. I don’t know why you thought anything else.

When you have 3 items:
1 Apple computer.
2 Microsoft computer. 
3 A usb keyboard.

When you connect the usb keyboard to two computers in turn:
(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)
(win)Alt=Option(mac)
WinKey(start)=Command(⌘)

2 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

WinKey(start)=Command(⌘)

That might work for you and others with CLaunch, but it doesn’t work for the rest of us!

Alfred spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That might work for you and others with CLaunch, but it doesn’t work for the rest of us!

This has nothing to do with CLaunch.
This has nothing to do with affinity.
It works on my American keyboard.(MacOS Windows)

4 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

This has nothing to do with CLaunch.
This has nothing to do with affinity.
It works on my American keyboard.(MacOS Windows)

Just to be clear, are you saying that your (American) USB keyboard allows you to use the Windows key to work like the Command key on a Mac, so you don’t have to do the horrible RMB+LMB thing that most of us have to do? And if that is indeed what you’re saying, can you confirm that you can still use standard WinKey combinations to do things like opening Explorer windows?

Alfred spacer.png

24 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Just to be clear, are you saying that your (American) USB keyboard allows you to use the Windows key to work like the Command key on a Mac, so you don’t have to do the horrible RMB+LMB thing that most of us have to do? And if that is indeed what you’re saying, can you confirm that you can still use standard WinKey combinations to do things like opening Explorer windows?

Just to be clear, are you saying that your (American) USB keyboard allows you to use the Windows key to work like the Command key on a Mac, so you don’t have to do the horrible RMB+LMB thing that most of us have to do?
No!No!No! That was not what I meant.

I mean:
Use this keyboard:
When I'm in Windows OS, I press WinKey (it's actually Command(⌘).
When I'm in MacOS, I press Command(⌘) (it's actually WinKey)

Command(⌘) and WinKey share the same physical button (Command(⌘)&WinKey)
This is what I mean. I only mean this.

1 hour ago, Aftemplate said:

Command(⌘) and WinKey share the same physical button (Command(⌘)&WinKey)
This is what I mean. I only mean this.

Thank you for confirming that this has nothing to do with the Ctrl key on either Mac or Windows! The present discussion started because you had posted the following:

7 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

MacOS : Ctrl+Option+↑↓←→Drag your pen.
Windows : Ctrl+Alt+↑↓←→Drag your pen.

Alfred spacer.png

13 hours ago, Alfred said:

Thank you for confirming that this has nothing to do with the Ctrl key on either Mac or Windows! The present discussion started because you had posted the following:

(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)
Ctrl+Option=Control+Option

Ctrl&Control (They are located on the same physical button.) @R C-R  
So this is no error.

19 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)

No. In general, for Affinity, Ctrl on Windows is Cmd on Mac. Yes, Mac has a Ctrl key, but it's used for different purposes than Ctrl is used on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

(win)Ctrl=Control(mac)

Ctrl+Option=Control+Option

They are located on the same physical button.(Ctrl&Control)
So this is no error.

Ctrl on Windows is not the same as Control on a Mac, regardless of how any particular keyboard has its keys configured. Hence the need for an awkward mouse button combination on Windows.

We appear to be going around in circles, so I don’t see any point in making further posts to this thread.

Alfred spacer.png

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No. In general, for Affinity, Ctrl on Windows is Cmd on Mac. Yes, Mac has a Ctrl key, but it's used for different purposes than Ctrl is used on Windows.

11 hours ago, Alfred said:

Ctrl on Windows is not the same as Control on a Mac, regardless of how any particular keyboard has its keys configured. Hence the need for an awkward mouse button combination on Windows.

We appear to be going around in circles, so I don’t see any point in making further posts to this thread.

I am only stating:
(Windows)Ctrl=Control(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)Alt=Option(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)WinKey(start menu)=Command⌘(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)Shift=Shift(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(This is related to the macos key mapping between windows.)

And you are talking about: shortcut keys for affinity. (I'm not talking about affinity shortcut keys.)

9 hours ago, Aftemplate said:

I am only stating: they are located on the same physical button. (This is related to the key mapping between windows and macos)

What USB (or other) keyboard maps both key functions to the same physical key? Consider for example that on Macs the control key & the command keys can be used individually or in combination. How could that possibly work if both key functions are mapped to the same physical key???

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

What USB (or other) keyboard maps both key functions to the same physical key? Consider for example that on Macs the control key & the command keys can be used individually or in combination. How could that possibly work if both key functions are mapped to the same physical key???

(Windows)Ctrl=Control(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)Alt=Option(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)WinKey(start menu)=Command⌘(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(Windows)Shift=Shift(MacOS) : to the same physical key.
(I'm not talking about affinity shortcut keys.)
(I am only stating : This is related to the macos key mapping between windows.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202676
If this does not make you understand it, then I can do nothing.

@Alfred  @walt.farrell  

53 minutes ago, Aftemplate said:

Nowhere in that article does it say that the Windows key & the Control key are mapped to the same physical key.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7