You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PUBLISHER Font Selection problem on a Mac

Here's what I'm doing and the resulting problem --

I highlight some text in an Affinity Publisher document.

I then click on the fonts name in the toolbar, upper left corner.  The pull down menu appears, from which I choose "Recent".

I then start to move the mouse down to select the font and style that I want.

Here's the problem -- the second there is the slightest pause in the mouse's movement, Publisher picks that font and immediately closes the pull down menu making it basically impossible to choose the font and style I need.

I'm running AFFINITY PUBLISHER 1.8.3 on a Mac mini running OS 10.14.6 Mojave.  I have tried reinstalling the software, clearing all cashes, restarting and shutting down and even shutting down and unplugging the mini.  Non of these fix the problem.

I would appreciate any help with this.  Thank you,

Frank Lehmann

• Staff

Hi Frank,

Not been able to replicate this here.  When i stop scrolling the Font menu is still showing and allows me to start scrolling again.  I have to click to get the font menu to close.

Are you using a Mouse or Trackpad?  Could you also try this in the beta and see if the same happens.  You can download the beta from here

I'm using a track pad.

I have tried a few more things and found that it may have something to do with using "Separated Mode" ("Window -> Separated Mode").  I have two documents open at the same time.  One document is a pdf with selectable text.  The other is a new, blank document based on the US Letter size template.  Selecting the font works as expected for both documents if I'm in the tab (not Separated Mode) mode.  I then select "Separated Mode" and have two, separate, windows open.  The pdf on the left acts normally.  The new document on the right has the problem with selecting the font.  If I keep on trying to work in "Separated Mode" Publisher will shortly crash.  If I go back to the tab view then both documents allow fonts to be picked normally.

So, it seems to be only happening when I'm in "Separated Mode" and working on the new, blank document.

Originally what I wanted to do is stay in tab mode but be able to see both documents at the same time so that I can copy from one and paste to the other.  The only way I could find to come close to doing this was using Separated Mode.

Thanks again for helping me,

Frank Lehmann

I have also found one additional symptom.  When I manually restart my Mac from the Apple menu after Publisher experiences these problems, the system comes up with the notice that the restart was caused by a problem.  This note only comes up when Publisher has problems.  The restart was not because of a problem but manually done by me on purpose.