You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So, maybe it is not a bad idea to remove bitmap tools out of Designer, vectors tools out of Photo, and text tools from both of them?

Of course it is? What did you not understand? for example is there a pressing need for a raw develop module in Affinity Designer?  I'd say not but perhaps you can see an advantage in complicating designer to include this function.  There is no need to preload every possible thing you might need at some point , maybe 1 day this month. Lean and fast beats bloated and slow.  

Of course it is? What did you not understand? for example is there a pressing need for a raw develop module in Affinity Designer?  I'd say not but perhaps you can see an advantage in complicating designer to include this function.  There is no need to preload every possible thing you might need at some point , maybe 1 day this month. Lean and fast beats bloated and slow.  

????

Have you read (mine) previous posts?

I am also against this. Have you ever seen their "Full feature list" for APh and AD? They share a lot in common, just like Serif's PagePlus, DrawPlus and Photo Plus which share more than 50% of common features.

Adobe is another story. They put text (char and para styles?) and video tools in Photoshop, text tools and photo efects in AI, and what is more interesting all their common features did not work the same way. Even more, there are text effects in Photoshop, but not in InDesign???

Instead of one app which would have cca 250 Mb and much more easier to work with, we will have 3 apps with more than 600 Mb.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 3 months later...

At this point I'm thrilled, but I understand the desire for one app and support the idea as a long term goal. I would see it much like Maya where modelling, lighting and animating are independent UI's with their own sets of tools and pallets.  At this point I'm more than satisfied with two apps that recognize one another and support cross-app updates in real time. I assume a smart object created in Designer can be edited by launching the app from Photo. Not sure because I don't own both.

Which brings me to my second point. I'm with Blackest on the loyalty thing. I told my son about Affinity last year so he bought me Photo as a gift. But it was Designer that I wanted. Rather than tell him he bought the wrong app I thought I would wait for a loyalty offer to purchase it and complete the set. I understand the Apple Store problem. The answer is a simple mail-in rebate.

FWIW - I was a multi-app Adobe user since PS 1.0, I have upgraded Creative Suite several times over the years. Adobe's lack of loyalty has more to do with me switching than their painfully slow upgrade history and sluggish legacy code. Asking me to pay the same monthly subscription as a new comer for the Cloud is disgusting after 25 years of loyalty. It will never happen.

Adobe's lack of loyalty has more to do with me switching than their painfully slow upgrade history and sluggish legacy code.

I never bought Creative Suite, but it is the sluggish legacy code (& the huge amount of bloat) more than anything else that caused me to look for something better than Adobe's apps. The switch to the subscription model was also a factor, but that alone probably would not have done it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 weeks later...

Deja vu...   I'm sure this conversation has been had already.... many times.  And I think Petar made exactly the same point last time... and the time before... and the time before...

I don't think we are going to change our strategy.  Get Adobe to give you a single all purpose app, and then come ask us again.

Adobe does not give anyone a single all purpose app, It provides a suite of loosely compatible apps where import of AI or PS or ID files between the three only somewhat works...

I prefer the idea of tightly integrating the file format between A-designer, A-photo, A-publisher  so that at some point, hopefully,  moving between apps at least appears seamless, appears as if you are still working on the same "Workbench" but simply using the tools that are needed.

Adobe is the furthest from providing an all purpose app at any level.  The Affinity Suite is closer to being a convergent than Adobe is at this point.

• 8 months later...

The problem I see with the separation that in both applications features are missing from the GUI which are sometimes required. 

Yes, I can switch between the applications and work on the same data and switch back, but still, it would be nice to have live filters and the bitmap crop tool in Designer.

My suggestion: Designer shows some of the "Photo" GUI elements if the other application is installed. 

it would be nice to have live filters and the bitmap crop tool in Designer.

If you add a live filter to a document in Photo you can adjust it in Designer. As for document-based cropping in Designer, if you cover the canvas with a rectangle and then 'Mask to Below' you get the same effect, don't you?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)