You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Non-destructive Perspective Transformations

Just a small simple suggestion, I really think non-destructive perspective transformations would be incredibly useful. We can already shear, and resize... perspective transformations sound very doable, although I dont know much about how things are currently programmed of course. It would be nice to not have to keep rasterizing layers and applying the transformation over and over until it looks right

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2020 at 9:16 PM, RNKLN said:

There already is a non-destructive perspective transformation in Affinity Photo. Layer - New Live Filter Layer - Distort - Perspective.

That's cool. What's not equally cool is that to use this filter one must from file menu choose "Open in Affinity Photo" and from there activate the live filter for the selected layer. After that you can return to Designer from File → Edit in Affinity Designer. The live filter remains fully functional and editable in Designer. Now why can't one simply instantiate live filters for layers from the Designer UI?

16 hours ago, BassTony said:

That's cool. What's not equally cool is that to use this filter one must from file menu choose "Open in Affinity Photo" and from there activate the live filter for the selected layer. After that you can return to Designer from File → Edit in Affinity Designer. The live filter remains fully functional and editable in Designer. Now why can't one simply instantiate live filters for layers from the Designer UI?

The cynical answer: Serif wants you to pay for two apps instead of one.

1. Create a new document in Affinity Photo
  2. Add a Perspective Live Filter (should be the only layer in the document)
  3. File -> Open in Designer
  4. Open or switch to the Assets panel
  5. Create a new category or find an appropriate one
  6. Select the live filter in the Layers panel
  7. In the hamburger menu for the subcategory, Add from Selection
  8. Rename the asset subcategory to "Perspective"
  9. Now, to add a Perspective live filter to a document from within Affinity designer, simply drag it out from the Assets panel onto the document then adjust its position in the Layers panel appropriately.

20 hours ago, BassTony said:

Because the Photo filters rasterize your vector art, that's why. Designer doesn't have any non-destructive transformation filters or tools (except for the Move Tool in some aspects) like Photo and the ones that exist in Photo are not as plenty as in Photoshop.

If you only want to do art then the rasterizing aspect of the Photo filters may not be a big deal, but if you want to work with vectors only you will not find them very useful. Especially since there is no tool to convert pixels to vectors in Designer yet. They are not, ahem, designed for Designer.

6 minutes ago, anon2 said:

As do Affinity's Adjustments, and they are a feature of Designer, so the rasterisation argument doesn't hold water.

But they do not rasterize your vectors... I get that people want non-destructive filters for Designer and I think as well that they should be added asap, but it still doesn't change that Designer needs non-destructive vector tools and filters for a vector program, not raster.

17 minutes ago, anon2 said:

Try exporting the Affinity document to a vector format: both Live Filters and Adjustments result in rasterisation.

You're right in that regard. However, the vector shapes still remain as vectors in the program. Ran multiple tests and all of them came out with the vectors still looking like vectors. The Photo filters don't even achieve that since they all come out looking heavily rasterized on the canvas.

If it would be possible to fix the rasterization of the adjustments when exporting I would consider that another feature request which I would be all onboard with.

24 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

You're right in that regard. However, the vector shapes still remain as vectors in the program.

Yes, and that's why if Adjustments belong in Designer, then Live Filters also belong in Designer - both are non-destructive in the Affinity file and both result in rasterisation in an export. (I don't know why you brought destructive filters into this discussion when Live Filters were being discussed.)

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

Yes, and that's why if Adjustments belong in Designer, then Live Filters also belong in Designer - both are non-destructive in the Affinity file and both result in rasterisation in an export. (I don't know why you brought destructive filters into this discussion when Live Filters were being discussed.)

You were the one who brought up other filters like adjustments in the first place, so don't pin that one on me. <.<

I don't really agree. I want non-destructive filters for Designer that retain the vectors on both the canvas and when exporting, since that is what is actually missing. Adding the Photo filters feels like just a band-aid to a problem that isn't really solved because of the raster problem still persisting both on the canvas and on export. Also, when both features are in the same program you will begin getting UI and UX problems where you have to differentiate non-destructive vector filters with raster filters when they perform basically the same function except one rasterizes and one doesn't. Not to mention that the vector version can actually be used in both vector and raster work because you can rasterize on export or through the rasterize operators, thus making the addition of Photo filters even more pointless.

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

You were the one who brought up other filters like adjustments in the first place, so don't pin that one on me. <.<

No, it was @BassTony, not me, who brought Photo's Live Filters into the discussion. I was pinning the mention of destructive filters (that is the non-Live versions of the filters) on you.

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

I don't really agree. I want non-destructive filters for Designer that retain the vectors on both the canvas and when exporting, since that is what is actually missing [...]

Everybody, including me, wants that. You're completely missing the point regarding Designer's lack of the Live Filters that are in Photo.

On 9/6/2020 at 11:12 AM, Frozen Death Knight said:

If it would be possible to fix the rasterization of the adjustments when exporting

This would depend on the specific adjustment and on what it was being applied to, but it should definitely be possible for some of them (not all).

• 3 weeks later...