You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are there good art critics here?

rodsal23

• Staff

Hi rodsal23,

There are lots of users here and they will have lots of opinions, so if you're after an opinion then everyone here is qualified and hopefully will contribute. But asking 'Is this good enough?' is a pretty tricky one to answer in all honesty. You always have to remember that art is about personal expression and if you think it's good enough then you've done well. You can't honestly ask 'Is this good enough to sell one day?' because there are so many different styles of art that people will pay for (entire canvas in just one solid colour for example, right through to classic paintings) that it's an impossible one to answer. Your character/style appears to be fairly simplistic, but so is the art style of Hey Duggee ad Peppa Pig, and their art is valuable and instantly recognisable - attributes true of any other piece of great art, so simplicity is not a limiting factor in any way.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to say that I'd like to see the character expanded upon - different situations, different characters to interact with, that kind of thing - on its own and out of context it doesn't mean a lot to me? But that's just my opinion :)

Definitely keep at it and make sure that *you* are happy with your work, that *has* to be the first step and it should definitely be your goal. If you can later make money from something you enjoy, then that's great, but you almost certainly couldn't make money from something you didn't personally think was good enough :)

Matt

• Staff

Hi rodsal23,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm with Matt here. Don't worry too much about whether it will sell or what others think. First and foremost focus on what YOU like, practise/work on developing your skills, compare what you are doing with what you have done earlier to get a sense of your own progress and enjoy the whole process of creating these works. The rest will come by itself - from the natural reactions from others to your sense of what works and not, things will get more clear as you move forward.

As the saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

I like it. It's not how I draw but that's what makes it unique. Each of us have our own style. Styles evolve. That doesn't mean something you did 9 years ago is invalid or bad. If you hone your skill to a definitive style, then clients or individuals will seek you out to create something in your style that fits their objective or provides the visual solution. Conversely, you can spread your illustrative skills across a myriad of styles and can be called upon to create solutions for a broad spectrum of inquiries. 

Don't confuse helpful criticism in the form of helping you hone you skills and master the software, with personal opinions stating negative comments about the work. Sometimes that's a fine line.

With the piece you posted, I can see an entire set of custom emojis and the simplicity lends itself to easily adapting the figures and expressions.

Great job.

Art critics usually are self appointed persons that have something missing in their lives. Artists benefit more from people who encourage and inspire them. Mind what they say and ignore the rest.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com