You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity not recognising all my fonts

Hi, 

I am trying to use a certain font but Affinity Designer is not finding it. I use FontBase as my font manager and have the fonts active, Affinity is finding most of my fonts but a few styles are missing. I also noticed that Affinity is grouping these font families in a strange way also. Has anyone experienced a problem like this?

Just a lot of fonts in general. They are either missing or not grouped in the same family. It just seems a bit all over the place. I'm not sure if this is a problem with Affinity or maybe FontBase.

I used Nimbus Sans in the examples as this was the font I was having problems with yesterday. As you can see Affinity has grouped these very strangely. The font I was looking for is there today but it's not very easy to find as they are all in different groups.

Nimbus sans example.jpg

Nimbus sans example 2.jpg

On 7/20/2020 at 6:40 PM, Niall123492 said:

I used Nimbus Sans in the examples as this was the font I was having problems with yesterday. As you can see Affinity has grouped these very strangely. The font I was looking for is there today but it's not very easy to find as they are all in different groups.

It appears you have multiple versions of Nimbus fonts installed - from many different sources.
This can lead to problems in grouping caused by name conflicts from inconsistencies within the files.
Even the originals from URW have some errors in the style group names.

From the ones I can see listed in your screenshots:
Nimbus Sans - probably the originals from URW
Nimbus Sans L - updated originals
NimbusSan - all the ones that start like this - someone made these
Nimbus Sans Outline D - this is only commercial I think
Nimbus San, D, Ext, Out D, Out Ext D, etc. in the second image - someone probably made all these
There are commercial versions but they are properly named Nimbus Sans, with the s.

So with this collection I would expect some issues with an application trying to figure-out what is what.
Often open source fonts are modified using FontForge.
While it is possible with FontForge to properly name collections of fonts, it is not obvious, and often done wrong.
What works in LaTeX does not necessarily work properly in modern advanced applications.
So many older open source fonts have issues when used in a modern app.
Pretty easy to fix the problems, but you need to look at the whole collection at once.

Easiest solution is to only install the fonts you are actually using.
That will minimize the conflicts, and errors.