CartoonMike

Version A or B or neither?   

11 members have voted

1. 1. Help ol' indecisive Mike out, why don't you? Pick the one you like best

• Version A with the cool 3D FX that all the cool kids are using now
    • Version B which uses old school color to pop that icon-logo
    • Both are good.
    • Get back to the drawing board.

Howdy all! Getting geared up for a series that is my "homage" to the great cosmic epics by Kirby and Starlin. Here's my logo design for the series. I need so input from you good peeps here. I have design A and design B and don't know which one to use.

In the upper right is a infinity symbol with arrows, that's what I need help with. I like that icon-logo a lot, as it sums up the gist of the story (infinite rebirths of reality, each reality has infinite universes within). 

I kinda like the 3D effect on A, but the simplicity of B matches the rest of the design well and uses the only color to pop.

So if you'd be so kind as to indicate a choice, I'd be ever so thankful. And everyone who participates in this here poll and topic will get a mention in the print edition of this series.

Any critiques are welcome, too, btw.

post-895-0-42333800-1439316475_thumb.png

Some background, This will be a prelude to the main series "Cape and Cowl Opera." I wanted to make this series, "A Prior Reality" different from the main series. So I thought that since comics (as we know 'em today) began life as compilations of the comic strips of the '30s and '40s and began to have new non-reprint stuff when newspaper comic strips ran out of new material. So this series will have 6 "daily" comics and 1 "sunday" comics each week. It'll be released on the web as such. It's early on, I won't start putting it on the web until I have at least ⅓ or ½ of the darn thing done. I'm jazzed about this, as the comic will be drawn, lettered and colored entirely by hand on paper. Except for the Title page and chapter headings.

I couldn't have done that icon-logo without the Doughnut property! mmmm doughnuts.... It allowed me to eyeball the width of the circular shapes to match up the 4 objects and the Pie property (why am I getting hungry?) made it oh-so-simple to get the part of the outer circle just the way I want it. And topped it off with a cherry... no I mean triangle. The black background used the rounded rectangle and some hand editing to get the curves and sharp angles the way I wanted them.

And thanks for any votes and comments!

Edited by CartoonMike

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

I think I am with Callum here … :)

But I must confess, I didn’t get the meaning of the symbol before you explained it. To be honest, in my eyes an infinity symbol looks different … but perhaps I have been staring at those Computer Modern fonts for too long time in my life (see below) …  ;)

I would not think of an infinity symbol (lemniscate) as consisting of two rings or yummy doughnuts … oh dear, you are making my mouth water … but as consisting of a single loop or ribbon. Perhaps you can draw some inspiration of sans serif fonts (my second example is a rather bold one).

Hope you don’t mind my comments,

cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-23449400-1439327846_thumb.png

post-1198-0-37040100-1439328842_thumb.png

Nike work, Mike - I like B more too. If you press Option and 5 you can make ∞ which you can convert to curves to work on. Different fonts have different infinity signs ∞ Lucida Sand font, ∞ Comic Sans, ​∞ Verdana and so on. Just another string to your bow as well as yummy doughnuts if you didn't know. Best wishes!

Between the two, my vote is for B. Its 'flatnessness' is more befitting the rest of the piece. I might suggest that you consider A_B_Cs comment about the infinity symbol available in various fonts and perhaps give that a try to see if you like it better.( I likely would not have seen either A or B as portraying a lemniscate had I not read your post prior to viewing the attachment.) I, personally, am quite fond of Euler's variant of the lemniscate which can be found here - https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/InfinityEulerSymbol2.jpg/220px-InfinityEulerSymbol2.jpg   I just like how it is 'open'. 

The 'letter-stacking' in the text, "A PRIOR REALITY" was a great call and a wonderful addition to the whole!

To add some trivia from the history of mathematics … according to Florian Cajori (“History of mathematical notations”, vol. 1, p. 214) John Wallis introduced the lemniscate as a symbol for infinity. I was just curious how it looked there … see below.  ;)

By the way, this might also be of interest: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6044-how-to-create-a-perfect-lemniscate/

Cheers, Alex  :)

post-1198-0-67874000-1439365429_thumb.png

@A_B_C -- thanks. I'll use reference (like the one you provided, thanks!) for the next update tomorrow. I think I see where it can be improved. 

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, thanks!

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Here's the modified logo with better infinity symbol. thanks A_B_C!

post-895-0-14420800-1439369228_thumb.png

---

Oh yes, now the symbol is “legible” indeed … great improvement.  :)

(Perhaps you could tweak the “stroke widths” a little (the lemniscate looks a tad bold to my eyes), and maybe you could also consider to care for the “negative shadows” on the black background. At the moment the violet areas indeed look like drop shadows, so they would be eaten up by the black background completely. On the other hand, if you consider them as a kind of glow, you should perhaps consider to reposition them …)

But other than that: my compliments! Great design …  :)

Thanks to A_B_C's suggestions, here's the latest version of the logo:

post-895-0-63383500-1439390742_thumb.png

---