You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jack Kirby Inspired Pencil Brushes - Pixel Persona

Robert Hansford

Greetings true belivers! I made a free pencil brush set for Affinity Designer! There used to be a link to my gumroad page here, but I removed them from the shop and simply placed the files here. You can download them directly. Enjoy! 

Prototype A_reduced.jpg

Prototype B_reduced.jpg

Prototype C_reduced.jpg

4C7B4F5D-EA15-4CFB-BF8F-C0E048D47D0B 2.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

0820_SP_UL1.abr 0720_Prototypes.abr

2020 M1 Mac Mini, 16GB, Mac OS Sonoma 14.1.1
iPad Pro 12.9, Gen 4, iPad OS 16.3.1

• 2 years later...

@Robert Hansford is still active here, so perhaps he can provide an updated link :) 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 5/8/2023 at 5:36 PM, AGain said:

the link is not working 😞

I’ve been doing some housekeeping over at my Gumroad shop. I accidentally removed the item from the shop. - I’ll put it back! Please check back in 1 day. Super busy at the moment and can’t do it immediately. Thank you for your interest, and sorry for the inconvenience! 

@AGain I’m just going to post the files here on the post! Please enjoy them, and understand that, these were the first brushes I ever made for Affinity. They’re exactly what they are named - Prototypes. All brushes were designed from the same or similar nib images and textures. They’re still a lot of fun to play with and I keep coming up with different iterations and versions of them. - The Ultimate Liminifiers set included here is a set of colored layout pencils. I guess they’re what can be considered the end result of the experiments. Let me know what you think. I asked people to leave reviews or replies but not many people did. - However, more than 2000 people have downloaded them. 

0720_Prototypes.afbrushes 0820_SP_UL1.afbrushes

4 hours ago, Robert Hansford said:

@AGain I’m just going to post the files here on the post! Please enjoy them, and understand that, these were the first brushes I ever made for Affinity. They’re exactly what they are named - Prototypes. All brushes were designed from the same or similar nib images and textures. They’re still a lot of fun to play with and I keep coming up with different iterations and versions of them. - The Ultimate Liminifiers set included here is a set of colored layout pencils. I guess they’re what can be considered the end result of the experiments. Let me know what you think. I asked people to leave reviews or replies but not many people did. - However, more than 2000 people have downloaded them. 

0720_Prototypes.afbrushes 50.13 MB · 4 downloads 0820_SP_UL1.afbrushes 13.52 MB · 4 downloads

Hi Robert, thanks for your re-publishing. I downloaded them and I appreciated especially the first set. The second set I guess is more "experimental" type, but interesting to learn anyway.

On 5/11/2023 at 5:35 AM, Robert Hansford said:

0720_Prototypes.afbrushes 50.13 MB · 30 downloads 0820_SP_UL1.afbrushes 13.52 MB · 34 downloads

It’s awesome that you have posted the prototypes. I did download these from your Gumroad, but I must of lost them when I updated to version 2, and couldn’t for the life of me find the file to import these brushes in my iCloud. 
The other pack I believe is included in the quick kit deluxe 3.4, which I have. 

thank you for your generosity. 

For all of those who can be interested in these pencil prototypes, I donwloaded and tried. They are, imho, very usefull and I like them a lot because you can use them as they are or, as I did, learn and see the effects. I modified some of them a little bit to fit to my "style" (let's say ;-) . In particular I found the pressure curve too subtle and changed, or the scatter x,y dynamics (increased a bit). or the rotation dynamics.

But overall they are very good and I could delete a lot of stuff donwloaded from other "photoshop" free but useless stuff sites.

thanks

21 hours ago, AGain said:

For all of those who can be interested in these pencil prototypes, I donwloaded and tried. They are, imho, very usefull and I like them a lot because you can use them as they are or, as I did, learn and see the effects. I modified some of them a little bit to fit to my "style" (let's say ;-) . In particular I found the pressure curve too subtle and changed, or the scatter x,y dynamics (increased a bit). or the rotation dynamics.

But overall they are very good and I could delete a lot of stuff donwloaded from other "photoshop" free but useless stuff sites.

thanks

@AGain My pleasure. Thank you for the positive feedback and kind words. People downloaded the heck out of these but very few left reviews. Those that did always left positive reviews, but with so many people downloading them I felt left in the dark. Did people see the potential in them? Inspired to create new brushes or variations from them? - I wondered.

I just thought it’d be cool to see how many different variations of the same idea I could get out of the Kirby Krackle nibs that I’d created. I was really after a convincing graphite texture and feel, but I fell a little short there. It’s very hard to replicate convincingly, and at the time I made the brushes I was just starting out with the app.

At any rate, I find my taste in brushes changing all the time, particularly pencils. These days, I find myself using the default brushes within the app more and more. I almost feel compelled to give them more attention and use. Especially since 2.0. They’re more than adequate, and were perhaps a bit under appreciated when I first picked up the app. 

Making the prototypes went a long way for me in terms of helping me understand the dynamics tab of the brush editor. 

At any rate I’m glad you could get some enjoyment from them. Happy creating and best of luck to you!

• 2 months later...
On 5/10/2023 at 11:35 PM, Robert Hansford said:

0720_Prototypes.afbrushes 50.13 MB · 109 downloads 0820_SP_UL1.afbrushes 13.52 MB · 105 downloads

I am just starting my art journey. I design mostly with vector images but I’d like to exercise my talents in drawing and I must say these pencils are sooooo smooth! I love them especially how the pressure brings out their true beauty. Thank you!

On 8/13/2023 at 2:22 PM, evie1111 said:

I am just starting my art journey. I design mostly with vector images but I’d like to exercise my talents in drawing and I must say these pencils are sooooo smooth! I love them especially how the pressure brings out their true beauty. Thank you!

Well, I wish you the best on your art journey! - And thank you for the kind comments concerning the brushes. I put a lot of love and energy into them, however at the time I was lacking in technical knowledge and skill. I used really large image files for the texture, and having so many brushes in one kit is kind of overload. I recommend finding one you like, duplicating it, move it to another category, and delete the set when not in use!  There's so much you can do with them if you play around with the settings and experiment. You will probably end up creating your own killer versions of them. I hope they serve you well!