You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

footnotes/endnotes not implemented!?

HGF

Serif either needed to delay the release of Publisher until all the functions everyone wanted were finished (meaning it still would not be available to anyone) or they could release it when it had a enough functions to be useful for a significant subset of the potential users.

They chose the latter approach, prioritized the implementation of functions, and released Publisher even though they knew it was lacking functions some users would need. Many publications do not require footnotes, so to me they made the right choice.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello, to me they are not right, because we are talking about a DTP app. In time of copyright and copyright violations, author references (foot/end notes) are essential to avoid going into jail. I agree for  simple text editors. DTP should be more. I'm wondering about Affinity developer to accepting to postpone foot notes. Hope it will come soon, I don't want to jump to a different DTP tool.

Regards

HGF

• 2 months later...

Even basic apps like Pages have a robust footnote capability. I hear the point about releasing the product first then continuing development. 

Footnotes is an incredibly key fundamental for DTP. So I expect it will be added one day.

BUT, what is the priority Serif have given it? DO we have ANY idea of the order of upcoming functions? Footnotes is so fundamental that I bought Publisher fully expecting it to be implemented. If it markets itself as an InDesign beater we need to see it ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Just finished a major book project: 272 pages with loads of illustrations and loads of footnotes. The proofing and re-editing was made incredibly laborious (perhaps four times as long) because of the need to go back numerous times to fix the footnotes. Especially, depending on the font used it can be really hard to see the footnote reference numbers in superscript in the body copy. Got there in the end but this and a couple of other issues with the text were the main reasons why we have decided to go back to InDesign until Affinity Publisher sorts out a few issues.

One workaround may be to compartmentalise the body text into small units. When changes are made that pushes the text to the next page's text box, two more pages can be added there. At least that way the endless changes to the footnotes are contained within the space of a handful of pages.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, swinn11 said:

Please don't make me go back to InDesign!

Please remember that Publisher is just a toolbox that is missing a lot of tools.

Use a toolbox that has the tools you need.

Publisher is not yet ready for long document productions in my humble opinion.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 3 months later...

Some years(!) have passed since Affinity Publisher was released, and from day one of the release dissatisfaction with the lack of footnotes and cross-referencing  has been clearly expressed. These two functions are basic to minimal requirements for desktop publishing. Yet nothing from Affinity. I do not understand this situation, since with even a modestly dedicated team of programmers, the entire Affinity Publisher product could have been redesigned and rewritten in the time since its first release. My conclusion is that serious work on Affinity Publisher stopped long ago, and that it is sadly best to move to another publisher. In my case I have moved to Latex/Lyx

Yes, it seems Affinity attracts new users who then realise these (especially these but other problems as well) footnote/endnote functions are lacking and not even at the level of beginner-level apps like Pages and so HAVE to move on. Our own production team were excited to start using Affinity products before a major project last year but one by one went back to Adobe because it seems Serif have got their priorities terribly wrong or just refuse to address this elephant in the room. It is not possible that Serif don't see this factor is a primary priority that needs addressing immediately. Work seems to be continuing with development and so perhaps this is on the 'to-do' list but seriously, some of the developments that HAVE come out over the last 18 months are so irrelevant and absolutely not important compared to these glaringly obvious omissions. At first we were excited and would recommend Affinity products but now we actually tell people to steer away from them until they get this sorted. 

@CameronQ

I have gone over to Quark due to the lack of footnotes and endnotes.  i will not go to a subscription model.

Base Unit: I5 (10th gen.), 6 cores, 12 threads, 24GB Ram, 256GB SSD (Boot), 1TB HDD, Intel 630 (Graphics), Colour Calibrated Monitor and Printer (Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey

Laptop: I5 (6th Gen), 8GB Ram, 128GB nvme, Intel 520 Graphics, Colour calibrated screen(Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey.

Server: i5 (4th Gen). 16GB Ram, nVidia GT 730 (Graphics), 500GB SSD (Boot), 2TB & 1TB HDD (General storage), Running MacOS Catalina

@Ricks - what I do not understand is how Publisher is supposed to be the replacement for PagePlus, yet Pageplus supported these features.

It's mad!!!

Base Unit: I5 (10th gen.), 6 cores, 12 threads, 24GB Ram, 256GB SSD (Boot), 1TB HDD, Intel 630 (Graphics), Colour Calibrated Monitor and Printer (Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey

Laptop: I5 (6th Gen), 8GB Ram, 128GB nvme, Intel 520 Graphics, Colour calibrated screen(Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey.

Server: i5 (4th Gen). 16GB Ram, nVidia GT 730 (Graphics), 500GB SSD (Boot), 2TB & 1TB HDD (General storage), Running MacOS Catalina

37 minutes ago, cyberlizard said:

what I do not understand is how Publisher is supposed to be the replacement for PagePlus, yet Pageplus supported these features.

It's not intended as a replacement for PagePlus. It's a brand new product, intended to work a different way and to provide functions for a different set of users.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

12 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It's not intended as a replacement for PagePlus. It's a brand new product, intended to work a different way and to provide functions for a different set of users.

if this were true, PagePlus would still be available to purchase even though no longer supported.

who do you believe the target audience are for both of them as they are designed 'to work in different ways(s)' which implies different workflows and thus a different kind of user base?

Steve

31 minutes ago, cyberlizard said:

if this were true, PagePlus would still be available to purchase even though no longer supported.

I doubt that Serif, or most other suppliers of software (not to mention customers), would consider it fair or reasonable to charge for software that they could no longer support.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

may be they should consider giving it away if it is no longer required, or no longer serving as a source of financial income!

just a thought.

2 hours ago, cyberlizard said:

If this were true, PagePlus would still be available to purchase even though no longer supported.

I'm not sure, but I think PagePlus was withdrawn from marketing well before Publisher became available. But if you own it feel free to keep using it.

2 hours ago, cyberlizard said:

who do you believe the target audience are for both of them as they are designed 'to work in different ways(s)' which implies different workflows and thus a different kind of user base?

For one, Mac users and (eventually) iPad users. The other major difference from a user workflow perspective is the tight integration between Publisher, Photo, and Designer and the more consistent User Interface.

-- Walt
PC:

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It would appear from many comments that the "different set of users" it is aimed at want and need endnotes and footnotes. Which different set of users does not need it and what percentage of users of the Affinity products do they represent?

The fact is that the footnote/endnote function is so fundamental that from what I see NOT having it driving many users away. Is there a timeline for when we can expect it? I'm about to start another major project but without the footnotes the graphic designer doesn't want me to use AP because it means he'll have to manually do all the footnotes. And there are a lot.

I have today, completed a preliminary draft of my current working project.  The endnote count = 469.

In some regards I really like Quark.   This said, I find InDesign be more intuitive.

I look forward to seeing what Affinity brings to the table.  If they have no short term plans (<1 year) they should simply say so, so that we can stop putting ourselves through the grinding mill about what may or not be.

the worst thing is, I have no way of knowing if staff from Affinity actually frequent these forums on a regular basis or whether it is simply user led.