You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW photos in portrait are pixilated

Shooting RAW. D5300. Happens on multiple lenses. Running on ipad pro

I import images into photos. Then in AP I select the RAW image... landscape its fine, but all my portrait shots are heavily pixilated and I get an error message about the color profile. Posted to a FB group, someone who shoots with D700 and D800 has the same issue, no issue with is D7xxx series bodies.

I have deleted the app and reinstalled it, issue remains.

Edited by Gbrmedic
More info

• Staff

Hi @Gbrmedic,

Welcome to the forums. 

We are aware of this and it has already been logged with our developers. Th issue should only affect RAW files store in Photos.app. For the meantime the workaround is to use any other "non-Apple Photos" location (iCloud, "On my iPad, or other cloud service)

I had the same problem but only for some raw photos, and i found a way around it by importing that photo/photos in lightroom for ipad, i did some basic adjustments there and then export it, then i could import that exported photo from lightroom in affinity photo in full resolution. Hope that helps till the bug it fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I encounter the same problem when trying to open RAW photos taken in portrait mode by Nikon Z6. 

Generally speaking, and in order to expand somewhat on the issues related to RAW photos, the way you can handle RAW photos on iPad appears to be regrettably limited. It seems that the only possibility is to open them in Affinity Photo (and, presumably, in Lightroom or so, as pointed out by Ionut), since you cannot work them otherwise, but when opened in Affinity Photo they lose their file name, becoming simply ‘Untitled’. It escapes me why it is so. When choosing the photo to open in Affinity Photo, you see a square crop of the photo, and not the entire image, making it more difficult to identify the photo aimed to open. I ignore which of these problems are wholly attributable to iOS for iPad, but if you copy an image from Photos to Files, though you can only copy its JPG version, and not its RAW version (why?), it appears in Files under the file name given by the camera. So this file name is saved somewhere and in all logic can be associated with the image, can’t it? Or am I wrong because of my ignorance of how all this works?

• 6 months later...

I used Nikon Z6 and I've got the same problems with "Guy Alex". I also tried another app, "Darkroom", I found the identical pixelated and error in color profile problems when open a portrait-raw image as AffinityPhoto. I think the pixelated and color profile problems is a bug in iPadOS itself.

--- iPad 8 32GB, iPadOS 14.4, Affinity Photo 1.9.0 ---

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 2:20 AM, B.Rin said:

I used Nikon Z6 and I've got the same problems with "Guy Alex". I also tried another app, "Darkroom", I found the identical pixelated and error in color profile problems when open a portrait-raw image as AffinityPhoto. I think the pixelated and color profile problems is a bug in iPadOS itself.

--- iPad 8 32GB, iPadOS 14.4, Affinity Photo 1.9.0 ---

Can you upload a few problem images you have here in a zip file, I think I have stumbled upon a solution and need some other portrait raw  images to test it on. Thanks.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

The question is what exactly you seek. I have such images in my iPad, but it is apparently not possible to send them directly from Photos since only the JPG version (which looks perfect) seems to be attached to the e-mail. I can send you an image imported into Affinity Photo, however. Just make a hint about how I should proceed…

• 2 months later...