You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustment Layer - Presets (how to transfer to different computers)

The Adjustment layer tools allow adding presets (which then show up in the Adjustment Panel under the tool name).   However, there is no obvious way to export them.

It can be very time consuming creating good usable presents (gradient maps, selective color, etc) and is a major burden to replicate.

Is there a way to transfer between computers?

I'm generally thinking personal use here, but I think there would be major benefits to the community to also be able to import/export Adjustment Presets.  

You have not stated what OS and what app you are using so I can't give you full file location details

But on my system, (Windows) I would be looking for this file adjustments.propcol to transfer it to the second computer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

But on my system, (Windows) I would be looking for this file adjustments.propcol to transfer it to the second computer

It's important to recognize that transferring those presets to another computer is an all or nothing situation. If the target computer already has its own adjustments presets, you will replace them all with the source computer's set of adjustments.

This FAQ article should help find the location of the file:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Two related questions:

Is there a way to get rid of all the default presets? It appears a right-click on a preset opens a context menu which allows to delete but this option is grayed out for app default presets. I would appreciate if none of them would show up at all once I click an adjustment but get presented its options window only.

Is there a way to make the option sliders appear in the adjustment panel (e.g. instead of the preset icons/buttons)?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

31 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Two related questions:

Is there a way to get rid of all the default presets? It appears a right-click on a preset opens a context menu which allows to delete but this option is grayed out for app default presets. I would appreciate if none of them would show up at all once I click an adjustment but get presented its options window only.

Is there a way to make the option sliders appear in the adjustment panel (e.g. instead of the preset icons/buttons)?

No.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It's possible to load an Adjustment Layer into the Assets panel, export that then import elsewhere. I've had a brief attempt at stacking & grouping them but failed so far 

Assets-Adjustments.png

Assets-Adjustments.afassets

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

1 hour ago, David in Яuislip said:

Adjustment Layer into the Assets panel, (...) I've had a brief attempt at stacking & grouping them but failed

I experience that adjustments loose their entire functionality as Assets, regardless whether grouped or not. They appear in the Asset Panel and they appear in the Layers Panel if dragged as asset to a document – but then they seem useless: Though the custom values in their options window is still maintained as asset they simply don't cause anything, even altering the values doesn't cause an influence to the layers below. They are just kaput. – A bug?

10 hours ago, carl123 said:

You have not stated what OS and what app you are using so I can't give you full file location details

I am also on Windows (I use all the apps, but was most interested in Photo Desktop).  Thanks.

Thomaso, interesting. I have just deleted those two assets, reloaded them and they work properly, well as a proof of concept, otherwise they are fairly useless.

I loaded a new image, applied both assets by dragging, clicking on the layer panel opened the option boxes which functioned as usual.

It's a shame you're on a mac as I suppose my .afassets file is of no use

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

12 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

It's a shame you're on a mac as I suppose my .afassets file is of no use

I haven't used your .afassets but simply tested with newly created, in various ways, single, grouped and grouped renamed. None of them seem to work when dragged from the asset panel. Here just the sample of the renamed group:

So, since yours work for you, I wonder if it is an issue on mac only?

Another issue: note that the bottom asset doesn't show its name "Shadows / Highlights Adjustment". It gets cropped entirely when the panel width is too narrow and doesn't show even a few letters.

I think we could all use larger screens, this one is a pain at the right edge of the Context Toolbar where I have to click a » symbol to see some options yet there is plenty of space

I have just realised that the  Layer names are not the same as the assett names.....hey ho

Assets-InconsistentNames.png

34 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

I have just realised that the  Layer names are not the same as the assett names.....hey ho

Different asset names are not only "by design" but also by concept and apparently in purpose:

OK, I started again

Create the effects, rename them in the Layers panel, add to Assets, delete the Layers and re-apply by dragging from Assets. It works

Next rename the Assets in the Assets studio, apply them and it remembers the old name

It's good that it is by design and not a bug.

I would be inclined to change the design, I cannot see a reason for allowing a change of name in the Asset studio because it is too late and does nothing

Hope the graphic explains it, I am off for some beer

Assets-Renaming.png