You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Style is wrong colour (Publisher)

Ash_002_.png.6fdb5e4c1b5a286d272e20d98e7526b9.png

The style, Heading 1 is the right colour (dark red) everywhere else in the whole document, nothing I do will get this particular piece of text to change to the correct colour. Can anyone suggest what might be the problem please?

John

Could you provide a sample .afpub file? Just enough (one or two pages) to show a heading that has the proper color and the one that is wrong.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, jrkay said:

The style, Heading 1 is the right colour (dark red) everywhere else in the whole document,

As Walt pointed out it can have various reasons why a style doesn't appear but becomes overridden by another setting. Therefore a sample document would allow a quick test.

So for instance I am not sure if any text is selected in your screenshot (e.g. whether the gray is a text style background). Note that if you just select a text frame with the move tool the given info in various panels may be confusing because it often appears to represent the very first glyph within the frame only.

So to apply the red you either must select the according text before applying the color – or select the frame with the move tool before applying the color.

3 hours ago, Wosven said:

It looks like the colour of the underlining, that seems not active, that's not where you modify text colour.

Sorry, this is an error. This color field indeed can be used to set the font color.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

10 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Sorry, this is an error. This color field indeed can be used to set the font color.

You're right, an nième way to give colour... The fun part is that I never "saw" this colourfull rectangle (I don't work only with black text!), but I click a lot around to select a font or the size, etc.
Iwould have been able to give the full buttons list in this context toolbar, but the colour...

Wosven, I know that feeling. I can still be surprised when I occasionally read about a workflow with a specific UI element - because I haven't used it yet, although I often use its function. I assume that most users prefer the way they are used to. In fact, this also can be seen as a point for the UI quality, that is, it provides access in several ways.

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Could you provide a sample .afpub file? Just enough (one or two pages) to show a heading that has the proper color and the one that is wrong.

Strangely enough I started to do this by CTRL C on page 60 and this is what it produced, I also printed it out as well and it came out the proper colour so I shan't be trying to change it any more. Seems like an occasional peculiarity I am going to learn to live with.Ash_001_.png.aab4baa744d17e845ad1fde93b16a782.png

16 minutes ago, jrkay said:

Strangely enough I started to do this by CTRL C on page 60 and this is what it produced, I also printed it out as well and it came out the proper colour so I shan't be trying to change it any more. Seems like an occasional peculiarity I am going to learn to live with

I don't understand how exactly your "CTRL C" would influence the text color. Maybe the "occasional peculiarity" isn't something you have to live with but rather was an inefficient workflow before which not will occur again since you discovered how to set text color? Possibly you confused text fill and stroke color before (without stroke width)?

If you do want to investigate it further:

1. File > Save As... to save a copy under a different name.
  2. Open the copy.
  3. Using the Pages panel, select and delete the pages you don't want to keep. Note that you can select multiple pages at a time, and delete all the selected pages with one operation.
  4. File > Save As... again to save a copy under a different name.

Upload the file you saved in step 4.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you Tomaso for your interest, I assure you that the text colour was set when I set the text style for Heading 1 which i understand is the proper method of doing this, although I must plead guilty of inefficiency, adjusting after many years of PagePlus experience.

Thank you Walt, you have always given good and tolerant advice, even to those labouring under an  "inefficient workflow."

I don't think the problem is important enough to me to spend any more time on it really. Thank you again.

John