You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I used the defying function and it worked the first time.  Subsequently it doesn't work... doesn't remove the fringe.  I used it both under Filters, Colors on the Background layer and as a New Live Filter Layer.  Same thing, the red color I want to remove is still there.  Any advice is welcomed.  Thank you.

Yea, viewed it at 100% up to 400% and it didn't seem to work.  I think though the problem is no Affinity per se but how I'm using layers. I don't really understand how they work so I need to study it more (using the Affinity tutorials). Thanks for the offer.  If I can work out the layers & still have the problem I'll take you up on your offer if that'd be okay.  Thank you.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:26 PM, stokerg said:

Hi Riegal,

Can you try viewing the image at 100% and see if the Defringe Filter then works?  

If it doesn't, could you attach the image you are working?

Hi stokerg,,

Still couldn't get it to work. Tried using layers (still don't really get them) and not layers, still no joy.

Here's the file.

Thanks.

P7160011_copy.jpg

If you mean the red line under the guttering on the roof on the right it is working fine for me.

With the non-live version use the colour picker to sample the red colour then max out the first 2 sliders and minimize the 3rd one and you should see it working (adjust then to your requirements)

With the live filter version my colour picker does not work so i had to estimate the colour first and select it in the dialogue, then max out the first 2 sliders and minimize the 3rd one and you should see it working.

Note: When maxed out you will see colour changes in other parts of the image that you do not want, with the live version of the filter you can simply paint over its mask to remove these

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Yes, same here

Show us a full-size screen shot showing the layer panel and the filter active with the sliders set as previously mentioned

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Your settings look OK to me the only difference is you  are on a MAC I am on a PC. We may have to wait for another MAC user to come along and try it on their system to see if there is a problem or not?

What MAC version are you on?

I attach what it looks like on my PC

defringe.jpg

Just noticed you are using a .orf file

Can you upload that file to the forum?

I think I just figured it out. Just watched a video from a link a member sent. It was 10 most common mistakes with layers.  Yea, I made one of them. I needed to make it Current Layer & Below.  I knew it was layers.  I still don't fully understand them, but I think I'm getting there..

In your earlier post you said "with the live version of the filter you can simply paint over its mask to remove these".  So okay, that's the next one I need to learn is how to do mask. So far all my editing has been destructive.  So when I've done something I don't like it's undo, undo, undo, etc.  Or I start completely over.  Now's the time to work smarter I guess.

Thanks.

Also - when you are defringing something, you are really targeting a specific photographic issue that occurs at high-contrast edges of objects with optics that do not focus the spectrum of light evenly on the sensor.  Find an example of fringing (chromatic aberration) and test the filter on it - you will find that it does a pretty good job.  In the image you posted, there is no fringing, which may be causing some of your frustration.

Kirk