You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What would be good, when you close Affinity?!

Is it likely that when you close Affinity Designer, that any files that you're working on (open in Affinity ) will remain in the state they were in when you close the programme.

At the moment, Affinity (like other programmes) asks if you want to save that file.

This is a brilliant feature in Xara.

OK. I'm not suggesting that Affinity becomes like Xara (thought that would be brilliant).

All I'm doing is to mention features that would be a great addition.

I would not want the program to auto-save anything that I don’t want saved either. Like rue_mac said, sometime you just want to experiment without saving those mod’s. Always allow the user the option to save the file or not. Currently I would open the file, do a “Save As” to make sure I don”† mess up the original. Does AD have the ability to create Template type files?

In Preferences there is the “Autosave Interval” with a max value of 2700 minutes which is 45 minutes. I would like to see a “Never” option when you slide the slider all the way to the right. As it is you DO NOT have that choice but we should have it or at least a max figure of 86,400 seconds (24 hours).

This way anyone can have whatever they want from save every couple of minutes or not at all.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

• Staff

I need to explain about our auto save, because this is very important.

MaxClass - the auto save feature does not save to your main file. It forms a working backup that is linked to your original file, so that if AD crashes or is forced to shut down, or your machine dies, you have your work in progress. Then, when you reopen your file AD will ask if you want to restore the work in progress or just open as usual.

Having a regular auto save will not slow down AD, and it will not affect your actual file in any way. Only when you do a proper save does your main file get updated. In fact, your main save will sometimes be faster as a result of regular auto saves. Our auto save also generally works in a few milliseconds, but if there is any chance of it stopping you working, we abort the auto save and postpone it until you are not doing anything. Auto save also only happens when there have been changes to your document, and depending upon what sort of changes only a part of your document may need to be auto saved.

This is something that is totally unique about our file format. It is not like PS or other apps where an autosave of a large document generally means a long wait where the app stops responding.

In AD, when you close a document you will be asked if you want to save changes. Only then is your file updated. If you chose not to save, as you would expect the file remains unchanged regardless of any changes you made in AD. When closing a document cleanly, the linked file we create is deleted. But, in the case were you didn't close the file, the work in progress is saved for you.

We have our autosave set at very low numbers. I run at 30 seconds while developing, but we generally use 300 seconds. Trust me when I tell you that you gain nothing and potentially lose everything by reducing the autosave rate or turning it off altogether.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Ben,

Thank you for the explanation. I think this will probably clear things up for a lot of people regarding their files and how they are handled.

As a previous developer myself I found that filling in customers with certain information that happened behind the scenes help them to understand why certain things happened as they did and in the end eliminated a lot of unnecessary customer support issues because once they understood something they had no more questions.

In the same way your explanation will probably do the same here.

Thanks again.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

• Staff

Yes. This is probably something that should be in the Help. There will be a lot of things like this that will probably need explaining over time. Writing complete explanations takes time though, so we will likely cover things as people raise the questions.

Autosave being a case in point, though we can only explain so much without giving away a lot of technical details.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

I am not talking about 'opening a file... experimenting a bit... closing Afinity... then annoyingly having the file still there when you re-open Afinity'

I am talking about a file that you're working on. Designing a piece of work. Then instead of going through the process of saving the file, you simply close down Afinity. Then when you open Afinity, the file is already there.

Nothing stopping you from deleting a file/work that you didn't like.

It's a brilliant feature.

And auto save in Xara is magnificent. Many a time, important work can be recovered.

• 3 weeks later...