You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Squashed panoramas!

Panoramas from Photoshop turn out just like I saw the image in person — panoramas in Affinity Photo have a squashed top (almost always)… 

Is this normal?

Does this have to do something with projection? Can I change it while making a panorama in Affinity Photo?

Issue happens on Macs, Windows and iPads, Panoramas just turn out squashy and I have to stretch the top parts out — and the image turns out with worse quality as a result.

71DA4B22-4989-4AF9-AA9D-87B565ED06EC.png

E10439BC-590A-40D1-A8BD-96752C1B3E7A.jpeg

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

This happens every time I try to merge a panorama — in this case it was with many files, but it can happen with only four files.

I did notice that this isn't drastically noticeable when I'm merging a panorama where I'm only moving the camera horizontally.

Pano.zip

Vista PC in the attic 

I think it may be your sorce files. The image _MG_5428.jpg is supposed to be the tallest part of the tree but clearly looks partially squashed already, probably due to the angle you had to take that shot with.

If you run your images through Microsoft's Panorama Sticher it produces similar results as APhoto (see below).

Would be interesting to see what Photoshop produces using the same images

panomic.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I literally provided the Photoshop image! :))

This happens very often in my Panoramas, I don’t use Photoshop because it’s slow and produces files that are 3X the size. But Photoshop and Lightroom always make it look like in real life..

I think it has to do something with projection.

I tried Microsoft ICE but if you really zoom in, and compare the quality of it’s exports and Photoshops, the quality is not even compareable

Vista PC in the attic 

On 7/17/2020 at 12:34 PM, konstantnnn said:

E10439BC-590A-40D1-A8BD-96752C1B3E7A.jpeg

the only thing is that this has been edited using content aware fill, so the edges have been filled — but it’s clear that the tree is normal and not squashed (this is literally just like i saw it in person with one eye closed). the sky is also noticaebly taller

Vista PC in the attic 

7 minutes ago, konstantnnn said:

(this is literally just like i saw it in person with one eye closed). the sky is also noticaebly taller

Then I don't understand how this image can be so different to what you saw - which looks squashed compared to yours above

_MG_5428.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

carl123,
Compare the affinity output with the source image and you will see the difference. Photoshop does give a weird result also (the highest branch at the top is way to stretched) but in Affinity Photo it is squashed making it even perceptually shorter (or actually stretched horizontally compared to) than the original/source.

I can see that the Affinity Panorama appears to squash it more (same as Microsoft does) but I don't understand how Photoshop produces the result that it does from the original source image (_MG_5428.jpg).

Photoshop seems to have stretched that image unnaturally as if its algorithm tries to correct for the angle taken of the various panorama images and stretches them accordingly 

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Yes, as i said above Photoshop doesn't perform a great job in Auto mode

I missed that additional edit to your original post before I replied or else I would not have mention it in mine

I am now realising how the Photoshop Auto mode actually deforms the images as well… But I swear, I swear, in my mind this is how the scene looked in person (I haven’t even checked the raw files, now they seemed squashed too)… Maybe Photoshop is doing some distortion, but it produces a nicer image in my opinion...

Just posted this here so you guys can see what’s going on, I can actually send you many many many more panoramas where the same thing happens, the image is very distorted at the top. This even happens with head on subjects, without any angle distortion in the original files.

Just something I think the affinity team could look into the future.

Also note: the Affinity image dimensions after the panorama stitch and Photoshop image dimensions are significantly different — and when you apply a MESH WARP adjustment to fix the distortion in affinity (to make it look like photoshop) — you loose some quality. This led me to the conclusion that the program squashes more than photoshop extends

Vista PC in the attic 

I think a brilliant way to fix all this could just be to allow users to pick between Perspective Panorama/Spherical/cylindrical… could fix this issue?

Vista PC in the attic 

33 minutes ago, MEB said:

Photoshop output is not relevant for Affinity Photo.

It's relevant in this thread because the OP was comparing Affinity's output to Photoshop's. Both apps were distorting the panorama but in different directions. (squashed and stretched) Which makes Affinity's result look much worse than it is if people believed the Photoshop result was accurate

Affinity (and Microsoft) both produce squashed results, so yes there is room for improvement there but not to the extent that it should match Photoshop's rendering of the Panorama as that is clearly not a true rendition of what that scene should have looked like, based on the source image files.

35 minutes ago, konstantnnn said:

Maybe Photoshop is doing some distortion, but it produces a nicer image in my opinion...

Yes, it does in this case, but not an accurate one

Thanks on the interest everybody, hope something’s done in the next months or years… 

Vista PC in the attic