You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DESIGNER: How to create inner DISTANCED stroke

this is a question for the IPAD version: let's say I have an irregular shape (black in the example image attached) and I want tog et an inner line that follows in a perfectly equally distanced way the outer line (like the red Lin in the same image), how can I obtain that? (must be simple but for some reason I am not getting it in designer iPad)

thank you!

sample.jpg

I hope these images helped you.

For anything else, feel free to reply.C5F9AC40-C620-43A0-9618-751985076ED1.thumb.jpeg.c13bd4315652f104e4034e58df9c5ff9.jpeg

19B3C6E1-1735-45DA-BCA1-3810F8429CB1.jpeg

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

I don’t know theres even an option in the desktop version to distance the stroke that much from the edge.

Could you send me the document so I can manually try to do something?

I would manually duplicate the object, resize some parts of it down and hide the fill. Then i would apply a stroke on that object

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

11 minutes ago, konstantnnn said:

I don’t know theres even an option in the desktop version to distance the stroke that much from the edge.

Could you send me the document so I can manually try to do something?

I would manually duplicate the object, resize some parts of it down and hide the fill. Then i would apply a stroke on that object

I cannot send you the actual file (which is not this elephant), since it is for a work, but resizing does not work, since it messes up many proportion unfortunately. I am sure there is a way because I have done it with other softwares time ago, but here I cannot find a way, and it is VERY strange....

you can anyway try with whatever irregular shape you want, it just have to work :)

• Staff

Hi NevraArts,
Check the attached file. Basically you can add a white stroke to the elephant then place the dashed stroke above this one (with a smaller width) to give the impression that the dashed line is offset from the edge of the elephant. The offset distance is dictated by the size of the white stroke. This affects the original appearance of the elephant a little (it becomes fatter due to the added white stroke width but you can compensate for it if you plan ahead. There may be other solutions specially if you don't need the rounded corners for the dashed line.

Untitled_1.afdesign

1 hour ago, NevraArts said:

this is exactly what I need, but with the iPad I cannot achieve that... any suggestion?

I did it on my iPad! Maybe @MEB’s file will help you to see how to achieve a similar result.

15 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi NevraArts,
Check the attached file. Basically you can add a white stroke to the elephant then place the dashed stroke above this one (with a smaller width) to give the impression that the dashed line is offset from the edge of the elephant. The offset distance is dictated by the size of the white stroke. This affects the original appearance of the elephant a little (it becomes fatter due to the added white stroke width but you can compensate for it if you plan ahead. There may be other solutions specially if you don't need the rounded corners for the dashed line.

Untitled_1.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi NevraArts,

Untitled_1.afdesign

thanks!

this actually helped but it is a walk around, so I would definitely suggest to add this as a native feature, not to have all the cons of this methods! :)