You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scale with object AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!?!?!?!

Just another go at getting this off my chest, which has been kind of an annual whinge for the past five years.

No matter how disciplined I try to be about trying to tick those horrid little "SCALE WITH OBJECT" tick boxes in FX and stroke, I always seem to just forget to do it !@!@@!@@???*****    surely it can't mean a complete re-write of code to just have these tick boxes always ticked via preferences or sticky ticky boxes????  surely the reverse for default (always ticked) would be the only sane useful option - only having another whinge after yet another job where I need to blow up or scale down lots of different elements on a a page and then having to spend ages burrowing down though child of child of child layers just to tick those pesky little boxes.

Is it really just me?  as I can't remember anyone else having a moan about this and I don't think I've ever seen any moderator acknowledgement  --- Maybe I'm just being selfish and unreasonable???  Maybe it would be a mountainous feat to implement this???????   Maybe I'll lob myself out of the window tomorrow when I have to go through it all yet again, although I'm on the ground floor, but I could easily graze my knee?

Pretty please with sugar on top.............

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

1 hour ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Is it really just me?  as I can't remember anyone else having a moan about this

Hi @Dazmondo77,

if it helps I do not moan nor 'AAAA...' about it but I can confirm that I several times had to go back and check this option because I forgot to check it during design time.
I think it would be a good to be able set a default preference.

Please dont lob yourself out of the window 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, dominik said:

Please dont lob yourself out of the window 🙂

I'll really try not to dominik, just so frustrating when it's a tick box that should be ticked by default, I can only think of a few scenarios where I might want to temporarily un-tick these boxes but then quickly switch back to TICKED - I'm sure the dev team member who decided on this arse over tit logic is in league with the devil - in my head I can hear them laughing hysterically.

Really can't believe this is not a massive issue for all users, I know i'm a weirdo but............🤬🤮👿💩

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Damn done it again ----- yippeeee another hour of mindless box ticking

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Seeing as over the past five years I've failed to raise a response, I'm just wondering if it's just down to me being pig thick and missing some obvious trick that forces SCALE WITH OBJECT tick boxes to be ticked by default ----- surely one of you forum boffins have a solution???

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 7/17/2020 at 2:13 PM, Dazmondo77 said:

Seeing as over the past five years I've failed to raise a response, I'm just wondering if it's just down to me being pig thick and missing some obvious trick that forces SCALE WITH OBJECT tick boxes to be ticked by default ----- surely one of you forum boffins have a solution???

10 TICK SCALE WITH OBJECT
20 GOTO 10

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

7 hours ago, Jowday said:

10 TICK SCALE WITH OBJECT
20 GOTO 10

ERROR: Infinite Loop detected

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Let's say you got several objects with different stroke sizes. Select all apply scale with object in stroke palette and and it is aplied for all objects.

Works with effects the same way. Select all go to the preferences for the effect e.g. outer shadow and activate scale with objects. After that it is applied for all effects not only shadow.

But i agree that a global option scale/don't scale would be better.

Greetings

19 minutes ago, MiWe said:

Let's say you got several objects with different stroke sizes. Select all apply scale with object in stroke palette and and it is aplied for all objects.

Works with effects the same way. Select all go to the preferences for the effect e.g. outer shadow and activate scale with objects. After that it is applied for all effects not only shadow.

This method only works for parent items - it's the vectors inside vector containers that are the problems and with a complex piece of work, currently the only way around it is to dig down through the layers, groups and  containers within containers within containers etc... and tick those pesky tick boxes then after what seems like an age resize and discover you've missed a few so go on a hunt for the offending few - say you create a logo or a vector album cover or whatever it will need to be sizeable from button badge to billboard with no bother - just having those tick boxes pre- ticked by default can save loads of time and a potential ton of grief 

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

@Dazmondo77My personal preference is the opposite of yours, complete with opinion about "the only sane option".  But I certainly support creating an option/preference setting which lets the user choose their desired behavior as the default.

Example: 2018-2019 in CorelDRAW, I worked up a series of 39 documents , each with dozens or hundreds of graphic elements whose stroke and patterned fill all had to match exactly.  Yet I had to occasionally scale these elements to get them positioned without gaps.  However, when I went to create the cover graphics, using a selection of those elements, I wanted to really scale them up and have the stroke and patterned fill scale with the objects.  So almost all the time, I had scale-with-object turned off, when one specific workflow where I had to turn it on.  And, yes, I did forget to turn it on before doing the scaling several times during the production of those 39 documents.

It was that project that made me realize that you really want to be able to control additional aspects of fill transforming, or not transforming, with the objects.  For example, the "origin" of patterned fills.  Sometimes you want the fill to be aligned across multiple objects, a la text baselines.  Other times you want the fill to restart independently for each object.

And a point I've made elsewhere, in CorelDRAW (as in several other illustration packages) but not in the Affinity suite, graphic styles behave like text styles.  They are "live".  If you make changes to a style, all objects assigned that style are automatically updated.  So when I had to tweak the stroke and patterned fill of those dozens or hundreds of graphic elements (and such editorial changes were made several times during the course of the project), I could do it once per file, as all the graphic elements had relevant styles assigned.

7 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

My personal preference is the opposite of yours, complete with opinion about "the only sane option"

Sorry sfriedberg I was on a rant after yet another added session of box ticking. 

So lets agree that "the only sane option" would be to have a master tick box or preference to enable ticked or unticked as default - I think we probably work in different sections of the design industry and yes with logos I do normally convert all strokes to paths, it's so many times I've done something like an album cover where I usually work to 320mm square incase theres a vinyl release, usually all vector and usually pretty complex so I have to size down for CD and size up for say a 2meter square backdrop and I always get caught - I remember when I mainly used Illustrator for vector illustration it was a few seconds to fix with the find same options - also really looking forward the find same options being available in affinity (as hinted in a few forum posts), and who knows when this feature finally lands, we may have a way around the problem???

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk