You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transforming symbol affects all instances of that symbol

Hello, thank you in advance for your help! Here's my problem: whenever I move, scale, rotate, or delete one instance of a symbol, that change applies to all instances of that symbol. I avoid it by using the layer panel to select the symbol I want to transform, instead of selecting it directly in the artboard. Additionally, this seems to be specific to this one file; in a different file I am able to transform one instance of a symbol without it affecting the rest. Is there a setting or something that I can turn off to stop this?

I attached a screen capture of the issue. Each of the orange spheres is a symbol. I was unable to attach my affinity file. Every time I tried to upload the file it would start to upload, pause, and then give a pop-up box saying "-200", and then show that the upload failed. Let me know if there's any more info I can provide!

Thanks,

Emily

Edited by Emily Layton
Wording and was unable to attach my affinity file

Welcome to the forum Emily, you can sometimes get around the -200 error by zipping the file up and uploading as a .zip file.

I wonder if, when you are selecting the symbol you are not actually selecting the components within the symbol, this would create the effect you have shown in the video, it would help to see a screenshot of the layers panel after you have selected the symbol to show which layers has actually been selected. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If uploading files continues to prove awkward, you can use img hosts like ImgBB these will host JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF, TIF, WEBP, HEIC and PDF. 

For affinity files a file host would need to be used like wetransfer.com, https://www.filedropper.com,  Filehost.org to name a few.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions