You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.8.3 Permission Denied Too Many Fonts Bug

Affinity Photo & Designer 1.8.3 (App Store installed)

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

On my MBP either program was unable to open any editable file from anywhere on the file system nor could it save a new file that was created, resulting in a warning of "Permission Denied."

However, on my Mac Pro, everything worked just fine. After some research someone said it was related to the number of fonts installed on the system. I confirmed this case by reducing the number of fonts to match my Mac Pro on my MBP. 

MBP had 2,800 fonts and the MP had 2,300 enabled. 

Also, an interesting side note, Publisher which I've purchase direct instead of the App Store had no problems with 2,800 fonts.

No other program is affected by the number of fonts enabled, this bug should be fixed.

• Staff

Hey Brad Studio,

Publisher is handling a lot more fonts because it is not restricted by the Mac App Store sandboxing. 

Sandboxed apps can only deal with X amount of fonts before permissions start to get denied.

For more info, see this post from Andy (a developer):
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/6956-cannot-open-or-save-with-both-affinity-designer-and-photo-beta/&do=findComment&comment=30132

FAQ:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/106104-faq-why-do-i-get-the-error-failed-to-open-file-or-failed-to-save-document-when-using-affinity-apps-purchased-from-the-mac-app-store-macos/

As annoying as this is, there is no bug to fix.

• 5 months later...

I believe I am having a Sandboxing issue, but I have less than 300 fonts installed, and have been able to fix not opening files by holding Control at Photo startup and then clearing all checkboxes.  But the problem has resurfaced a week later, yet the clearing fixes it.  Anyone have another solution? this is the error message i get when trying to open a previously recently saved Photo document: see screen shot.

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 7.31.48 AM.png