You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crashes in Publisher when a bullet point is defined in a missing font

I've come back to Publisher this week after not having used it for a couple of months, and it seems to be crashing all the time. I don't know how many minor updates I've missed, so I can't say exactly when it started. But I'd never had any problems before, even in beta.

Today I'm working with an IDML file. The other day, when I also had problems, I was working with a file that had been very heavily modified, but which was also originally created from an IDML import. At the moment, I'm trying to use the paragraph studio to locate a missing font. With the cursor in a text box, the app crashes to desktop every time I click on the tab to open the paragraph studio. Or I can open the paragraph studio, but if I then click to place the cursor in a text box, the app crashes to desktop. It looks like it might only be caused by paragraphs with bullets or numbering, but I'm not absolutely sure. Creating new paragraphs and formatting with bullets and numbering in Affinity seems to work fine, but applying a text style with bullets on from the IDML file causes a crash. It's possible the bullet point used by the style might be the missing font, but I can't confirm that, as I can't view it without the app crashing!

Crash report attached. Publisher 1.8.3. Catalina 10.15.5.

Affinity Publisher_2020-07-15-162046_Jamess-MacBook-Pro.crash

Edit: Confirmed, I've checked the source file in InDesign and the bullet point is using the missing font. If I change the bullet point and re-export the IDML I can click on that paragraph no problem, but the crash still occurs as soon as I move the cursor to another paragraph still using the old style.

Done. I've embedded the images. All the non-default fonts are from Typekit though, so I don't think I can upload those? The one that's missing on my machine, and that I think is causing the crash, is Minion Pro. I'll redownload that from Typekit now and see if the problem goes away.

Edit: Confirmed. With the font in place, the crash goes away.

Edited by somnolentsurfer

• Staff

I can't make it crash on my end. However, there is nothing in the doc you've attached using the "Minion Pro" font. Any chance you can attach a screen recording of a crash in action?

1 hour ago, somnolentsurfer said:

All the non-default fonts are from Typekit though, so I don't think I can upload those?

I've got access to Adobe fonts so this is not an issue :)

Here you go. I had to disable Minion Pro again in Adobe Fonts to get the crash to happen again.

There are no visible instances of Minion Pro in the document, but if I look at the font manager it shows it as required. Does it not for you? The bullet points on the first paragraphs I select here were originally glyphs from Minion Pro, but I replaced them in the InDesign file to test whether that was the cause. It used to crash on those paragraphs before the change, and it doesn't now. I think they must still be defined in the paragraph style for the second paragraph I click on, even though it's actually using a numbered list.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Crash when accessing Paragraph style if one font is not installed) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon